This is what is known as "Super Bowl Week-end" and it has been Super. Today I went to Sunday School (started a new study of Acts) and then to church and then to lunch with Sara and her friend Kimberly Boyd. All of that was just great but the greatest thing was that beautiful sunshine and soft breeze that I enjoyed. I declined an invitation to a "play cards, watch Super Bowl, eat barbecue party" and spent a quiet, relaxing afternoon here at my house. I napped and did a few chores and then watched the TV. I am now the proud owner of a box on my TV that gives me Hallmark and Movies and lots of music and if I can just not push the wrong button on my remote control it is perfect. I did push a wrong button yesterday and I called Comcast and the girl fixed it over the phone. No, I did not call Kim - I called Comcast and talked to a girl names Dottie who was delightful and didn't make fun of me.
I really thought that I would enjoy the half-time of the football game. I got my spiced tea and cookies and got all ready. I had heard that it would be so great. Forgive me, my young daughters and friends, but that man obviously was not speaking or rather singing in English or my hearing has gone because I didn't understand anything he said. I told Kim that I did understand at the end that he said "I'm going to Dixie" and she informed me, gleefully I might add, "Mother, he said I'm going to Disney". I don't care where he went I'm just glad he went. I think that my advancing years makes me appreciate the Golden Oldies more all the time. However, I can appreciate and understand why all of those young women were waving and cheering Bruce Springsteen. When I was about 15 years old I went to town one Saturday.
My friend, Ann, and I went to town most Saturdays when there was money. We would go to the movie, to the Krystal and then to Harvey's Dept. Store where you could go into a soundproof booth and play records. The object, of course, was to buy one. This particular Saturday I had the money to buy a record and I chose "Mule Train" by Frankie Laine. I came home, put the record on my player and when he belted out "Mule Train He Haw" my mother almost went into cardiac arrest. She told me that as little money as we had why would I spend it on something so crazy. She said a lot more about it but I won't go into all of that. I never knew exactly what happened but that record disappeared and nobody seemed to know where it went. Believe me I spent the money that she gave me more wisely after that. I thought about that at half-time tonight and wondered what she would say about that performance. I suspect that she would have a lot to say about a lot of things that are going on in the world these days. I think God does a good thing when he takes us at certain times because He knows that there are just some things that are not right for us.
This is the first day of February and on the 13th I am leaving to go on a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. I have filled out all of the many forms sent to me by the travel agent, I have looked at the excursion trips that they offer and made my choices, and I have made an appointment for my nails, pedicure and hair. Do you think I have any idea what clothes I will take? That is something that has got to be attended to and soon. With my work schedule, my
therapy schedule and my other things I am about to get overcome with all my "to-dos". It will all get done, I will go on the trip, I will have a good time and the best part of all of it will be coming home. That, my friends, is the epitome of OLD AGE.
No comments:
Post a Comment