Monday, December 14, 2009

I'M LEARNING SOME THINGS

Good morning my dear friends. Today is Monday, December 14th. Can you believe that the "Big Day" is just about here? I can testify that this has been the most active holiday season that I have ever had. My parties and events started on December 3rd and from that day I have had seven events that I have attended. Starting tonight with the East High Board of Director's party I have six events yet to attend. Each one of these activities has been just delightful - some with church friends, some with high school friends, two Mother/Daughter events and last night I was with 18 lovely women from all walks of life on a Christmas Lights tour. In between all of this I have shopped, cooked, enjoyed lying on my sofa listening to Christmas music and looking at my beautiful tree, mantle and other decorations, and addressing my Christmas Cards. As busy as all of this sounds, it has been a wonderful time for me. As you might expect, I am tired this morning and glad that I don't have to go out today. The tasks that I need to do today are all in my kitchen - food for tonight's party. Last night I heard over and over "Christmas just slipped up on me and I am not ready". One woman even said "I'll be so glad when it is all over". I did not respond to that statement. I learned a valuable lesson when Billy died, and then forgot it, but certainly relearned it during Kim's illness and that is that I will live each day to the fullest. I will treat each day as if it were my last (who knows - it could be) and that has changed my attitude about a lot of things - not just Christmas. I have learned that I need to go to bed later and get up later. I can go one day without vacuuming the carpets. My bathroom and kitchen will not become a medical hazard if I don't clean each and every day. I must not stand up on a chair to reach the top of the closet. I can step outside, look to the east and watch that huge ball of orange called the sun rise up over the horizon (yes, it's cold but so what). Also, I make it a point to go outside and look to the right and watch that sun set. The beautiful colors are worth the shivering for a few minutes. I have addressed Christmas Cards to people that I have not sent cards to in many years and marked some off that I see with regularity and can give wishes to verbally. Lots of things I have suddenly found to be good rules for my life but the main one is that prayer is the key to everything. A short prayer of thanks while mopping a floor or driving to the grocery, or cooking my lunch has become the norm for me. It has been hard for me to say "God is in control". I had always thought I was the one that made the plans and then executed them for myself and my family but I have found out that God is in control. He has a plan for Kim and this plan also includes me, her family and even the friends that have surrounded her during her illness and from this plan has come these many things that I have learned. I had a magnet on my fridge that said "Let Go and Let God" and of all the things that I have learned that is the most powerful, the most useful and the one that I have the most trouble with - but I am learning!

No comments: