Tuesday, October 26, 2010

CATCHING UP

So much has occurred in my life since the last blog that I am confused as to just where to start. I left off on my Birthday Eve. Well, the birthday came and it was just lovely. Tracey had a dinner party that included Kim, Brad, Jacque,Wayne, Tommy Pardue, Sara, Danny, Carter and Tracey. The meal was excellent and the presentation was beautiful. The table accommodated all of us and it was so nice to be seated among these people that I love so much and enjoy a beautiful meal and stimulating conversation. Brad was exceedingly humorous with a story of his past experience of working at a funeral home. Danny had some really funny comments concerning Tracey's extravagances that amused us all. It was a lovely, happy evening that made the transition from one year to another in age not bad at all. My other daughters were travelling and not able to join us. I received many gifts (all very much appreciated), many cards and my telephone rang all day. So you see that I am telling you that as long as you are blessed with a wonderful family and friends, birthdays no matter the age, are fun and I say "bring 'em on".
Sara and I drove in Sara's car to Gatlinburg last week. We had planned this trip for months, anticipated it to the fullest and were not disappointed in any way. We left on a beautiful Fall morning and drove into the most breathtaking sight you can imagine. The trees were at their peak of color and my eyes and heart just couldn't get enough. Sara, driving, was not privy to the beauty as I was and I am sorry because I hate to think of anybody missing this picture that God painted of blue, blue sky, red, yellow, and orange leaves with lots of evergreen trees thrown in for background. No artist, even one as talented as Michelangelo, could not have captured the beauty and color as God painted for me on this ride to the mountains. We arrived at our hotel, Zoder's Best Western, and it was just as we remembered it from years past. The parrot in the office greeted us with "hello" over and over until you wanted to tape his little mouth shut. Our room had a balcony that was over a creek rushing over big and little rocks as it made its way down the mountain to the river. It was such a pleasant sound to leave our door open and listen to the creek - very reminiscent of the ocean sounds in Florida. We shopped the stores in Gatlinburg and made some purchases. We had delicious meals in the best restaurants. We rode the Sky Lift to the top of the mountain and from that height just devoured the scenery of the town and the surrounding Smoky Mountains. We rode the trolley to Pigeon Forge and saw the sights along that route. As we left to come home we made a stop at the Christmas Place and it was just like walking into a fairy land. Really got me in the Christmas Spirit. The drive home was a duplicate picture of the ride up and was the perfect ending to a perfect trip. To have a friend like Sara is a gift straight from heaven. She and I are so in tune that she truly is the sister that I never had and vice versa.

Since my return home I have been plagued with a very bad episode that is a result of the emphysema that I suffer with and my breathing became very labored and caused me to just have to sit down and do nothing for several days. As you know, this is not my style nor indicative of my lifestyle so I sought the advice of my doctor. She assured me that my problem was minor and overexertion mixed with high mountain thin air plus a touch of asthma was the culprit and with a breathing treatment and some new medicine I am slowly coming back to feeling like myself. I have to tell you that I did get a bit nervous before I went to the doctor and thought "is this the beginning of life as an old woman? I certainly am not ready to be a shut in and not be able to live my life as I need and want to". It was with a grateful heart and a prayerful praise as I drove home from the doctor's office with the words of encouragement in my ears and a peace in my heart. Just one more example of knowing that God is good - all the time.
One more thing I almost forgot to report. My East Nashville High School All Classes Reunion was held on October 16th. It was a fun time and I enjoyed seeing some of my classmates that attended. I will tell you, and this is a bragging statement, I was given a plaque and named Outstanding Alumni. I just have to say that I enjoyed getting that award and all of the accolades from my peers that were given to me. Some people said "you deserved it". I don't know about that because I love my East High and I love being on the Board of Directors and I love being my Class Representative and whatever I do along those lines I do with love so it is not a chore. It is nice to be recognized I think and I appreciated and treasure my plaque that is hanging in my office as I write this blog.

No comments: