It has been quite some time since I have written on this blog and I really can't explain why, but as usual my intentions are good but other things seem to capture my time.
December has been a month of parties for me. Starting with the 6th of December when I went to my Monday Morning Bible Study Party. There were thirty women that went to a home in Greenbrier and had a wonderful luncheon and played "Dirty Santa". The cheering and jeering that went on over that game was hilarious. There always seems to be one particular present that everybody wants and once it has been "stolen" twice it is frozen and can no longer be taken away by anybody. This year it was a big, framed picture of Santa Claus and I have to admit, I really wanted that picture. I did not get it but I did get a perfectly beautiful tea pot, with cream pitcher and sugar bowl all on a pretty tray. The 9th of December was the East High Reunion Committee party. We had the party at the Alumni House and Barbara Lutz and Peggy Bomar did an outstanding job of decorating and making the house look "homey" and comfortable. Everybody brought a dish and, if I say so myself, that bunch are the best cooks in the world. Again, that "Dirty Santa" game was played and we had a good time stealing each other's gifts. The next day, the 10th, I accompanied Paul to his Sunday School Party at First Baptist Church in Hendersonville. I have gone to this party with him for the past few years and I believe that this one surpassed them all. The dinner was delicious, the entertainment quite wonderful and the people at our table were all happy and friendly and very accepting of me even though I am Church of Christ among hundreds of Baptists. When you came into this Blog site today, you saw the pictures of our family Cookie Swap that was held at Kim's house on the 11th of December. We missed some of our family that was not there and we only had four little ones to decorate cookies but we had Courtney and her friend, Shelby, that joined into the decorating and made for a lot of fun. Kim's house is decorated so beautifully and her luncheon was so very good, plus all of the delightful cookies that we sampled. It was a very happy day for the "Cline Girls" and others. On Sunday we woke up to a very cold day and lots of snow flurries with predictions of snow during the day. I went to church with Corinne and Mark and breakfast at Cracker Barrel which was quite a treat for me. In the afternoon Tracey and I went to an event that I look forward to every year and that is the Mother/Daughter Brunch with all of her close friends and their mothers from her years at Goodpasture Christian School. While we were at the party the snow began to fall and the ground became white and everybody began to gather their belongings and go home. Tracey and I came home in a real snow storm and, I admit, I was a bit nervous but Tracey is a very good driver and she has a good car so we made it fine. However, I was very glad to get home and determined not to get out again until the snow was gone. Today I did get my car out and ran a few errands with no incidents. Tomorrow is my Mother/Daughter Day with Kim. We always start out with a spiced mocha to drink, breakfast at I-Hop and shopping at Rivergate. Of course, you might know, they are predicting rain and sleet for the afternoon. I guess we will just see what happens and decide if we want to go or wait. I will finish my Christmas shopping if we go so, needless to say, I do hope that we get to go. So you see, I have had a very busy December. Some of my family and friends scoff at my party schedule but I guess I am enough like Aunt Ree that I do love parties and I hate to miss one. The next event will be the Board of Director's at East Alumni next Tuesday night and the big - and I do mean BIG - Cline Family Christmas Party on the 23rd at Nita's house. There will be 40 people there and that is just my girls and their families. Isn't that just wonderful? To be surrounded by the people that I love the most and watch the great grandchildren (15 of them) dressed in their Christmas outfits so pretty and so energetic. The greatest part of the evening will be when the entire family sings The Twelve Days of Christmas. Whoever gets to sing "Five Golden Rings" will garner the most laughter. The highlight of the evening is when the children tell the story of the birth of Jesus from the book of Luke. They have it memorized and it is so precious to see them standing there in front of the fireplace telling the story. We are a family of traditions and I do hope that one day when I am only with them in spirit they will sing a little louder and laugh a little harder, eat just as heartily and all of the women will bake cookies, make spiced tea and fudge candy.
Well, I have caught you up-to-date and when I go back and read all that I have written I am wondering just where I mustered up the energy to go to all of these functions and still have enough energy and desire to shop, cook, wrap gifts and, of course, decide which Christmas Sweater or outfit to wear next. Isn't it just the most wonderful of times? Through all the hustle and bustle of these days I love to sit in my living room and look at my Nativity Scene that I bought many years ago and think about that baby being born in a manger over 2,000 years ago and I thank my Lord that he gave that baby to save us and that the life we live here on earth is just a minute compared to the life we will live one day because of that birth. It just gives me one more reason to say that God is good - all the time.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND I WISH FOR YOU A WONDERFUL 2011.
No comments:
Post a Comment