Today I am thinking about TIME - time to get up; time to go to bed; what time do I need to be there? What time will it be over? time is precious and not to be wasted (my mother's advice) and that is true. I guess what I am getting at is "how time flies" and where does the time go? I really don't think that I am using the time that I have left here on earth to the best advantage, and yet I really don't know what to cut out or what to add or exactly how to manage my time in the best way. All of these thoughts came rushing into my mind yesterday as I pulled out a huge box of pictures that I had stuck in the closet when I moved. Now, if you are a scrap booking person you know that you use the pictures in your book that tell the story of the event and you discard the rest. The word "discard" is not in my vocabulary. I don't discard anything and my girls will attest to that due to the things that they discarded during my move from the house to the apartment. I am now sitting in a room that has pictures in little piles all over the floor, the desk, and everywhere else. These stacks of pictures tell stories to me of times that are past - Courtney's childhood, Patrick graduating from kindergarten, Tracey graduating from U. T. Martin, my mother opening the last stack of presents that she ever received on her last Mother's Day and on and on. I have a suspicion that in a little while I will put every one of the pictures back in the box and slide it back in the closet and one of these days my girls will have the task of discarding. Don't you think that is a splendid idea? Poor daughters of mine!!!!
Today, will no doubt be a day of random thoughts on several issues since I haven't written in so long. I am beginning to be so excited over the upcoming event that is Patrick and Mikka's wedding on the 26th of this month. For the past two Sunday afternoons I have gone to parties in their honor and it has been such fun to see the old friends and family that have come to show their love for these two special people. The outpouring of lovely gifts has just been astounding. All of the arrangements for the wedding have been made and now it is just a matter of waiting for the big day to see it all come together. With the talent of the people in charge I know that it will be a sweet and loving day for all of us to remember. It will be a good time to remember. There goes that word "time" again. As a post script to this paragraph I will admit that I have been praying for a long time that the Lord would grant me enough time on earth to see my precious grandson find just the right woman for him to love, cherish and marry. It will be a happy day for me in two weeks!
Other tasks that have been absorbing my time are working on the Scholarship Committee for the East High Alumni Association. Each year we give scholarships to direct descendants of East High graduates that qualify and this year I have received 37 applications. At this point in the selection procedure I don't know how many awards we will be able to give nor how much money each will be until we see the amount of money that we have in our funds account. Last year we gave 15 awards at $2,00o.00 each. I am happy to say that my Courtney qualified and was given the award to go to her account at U. T. Knoxville. We have some outstanding students that have applied. I can't tell you how many 4.0 grade point averages we have and all of the outstanding extra curricular activities and honors students have these days. It sure beats my history of high school and I really didn't do too bad myself. Another task that is requiring my energy and time is my High School Reunion - 60th Reunion - I can hardly absorb the thought that I have been out of school for 60 years. I have made arrangements with the hotel and we will be having this event on August 13th. Wonder how many of my old friends will be able to come? So many of them have passed on and some are ill but I bet we still have a good crowd of my peers that will come and have a great time. I have titled the reunion "The Last Fling", thinking it will probably be the last time to plan such an event but you just never know - Time will tell!
Speaking of time (which I have done repeatedly in this epistle) I need to close this up and go to church. It is time for me to go and worship because I need to be reminded and to say to myself and others that God is good - all the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment