It is unbelievable that I am sitting here writing on this blog so soon after the "random thoughts" blog, but as I mentioned in that blog yesterday was Mother's Day. I just can't let that occasion go by without talking about My Mother's Day. My day began with telephone calls from each daughter - some in the car on the way to church, some just having breakfast, others doing their regular Sunday morning chores but the point is that they each took time to pick up the phone, dial my number and greet me with "Happy Mother's Day". Now, can you think of a better way to start a day? Neither can I. My order of day was coffee, toast with Houston, get dressed for church and as the weather was warm and predicted to be warmer I had a couple of decisions to make. I drove to Madison Church of Christ and drove around the parking area twice hoping that I could find a "Senior Citizens" spot (yes, one advantage of getting old) but to no avail so I parked and walked into the building and on to my Sunday School Class. I have never studied Revelation before - never wanted to - scared of it - not interested, etc. but Nila Sherrill has given me a whole new perspective on the book and I am loving the study. Worship Service was good. Phil, the preacher does a good job every week. I wish that we would sing a few songs from the "old days" but that seems to be beyond our Praise/Worship Minister so I have given up on that subject. After church I enjoyed lunch with Jacque, Wayne and Jeffrey and then came back to Hendersonville. Houston and I took a long walk and I realized that it is fast becoming Summer. He and I was glad to get back inside to the air conditioning and a drink of cold water. Next comes the purpose for this blog - MY MOTHER'S DAY CELEBRATION. Corinne and Mark picked me up and we drove to Anchor High Marina. Corinne bought two balloons that were heralding the purpose of our dinner - Happy Mother's Day they announced. We were given the best table at the restaurant - inside the building but by open windows right by the lake. One by one the girls and their husbands arrived and Patrick, Mikka and Joesea with Kim. We numbered 13 at this table. I was given gifts of money from each family because I am going to take a wonderful trip in June and money for travel extras is not in my budget. Well, let me tell you this, they were so generous that I am embarrassed. I plan to eat the best dinners on the trip and I want to buy me one really significant treasure souvenir while I am in New York City or Philadelphia or Atlantic City which are the main cities on the agenda. I had said many times that it made me sad to think I would never see New York City again because travel to that place is too demanding and my stamina is not up to it now, but this time I will be seated on a sight-seeing bus and get to view all of the places that I have visited in the past in the easiest manner possible. Of course, I won't get to walk the majestic halls of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or the Guggenheim Museum or see the fantastic merchandise in FAO Schwartz, or Tiffany's but I will ride by and remember. My trip will be enhanced a thousand times because of the generosity of my family. I announced that I would like to make a speech shortly before we adjourned but I didn't do it. Why did I choke? Well, that is exactly what I did do - choke!! I could feel my throat tightening and my eyes filling and I could feel the tears coming to the surface. To end this perfect day with a bunch of words of gratitude accompanied with tears would have been a travesty. So, I just said thank you and let it go at that. I am pretty sure that each one of those beautiful people looking right at me knew what I meant, knew what I thought, knew that I loved them beyond belief and knew that I prayed each day for their health, their safety and their happiness. I give their lives to God with my prayers because I know He has a plan for each of them and I know that plan will be good. Why do I know this? Because God is good - all the time.
1 comment:
Mom, You are our treasure, the glue that holds us all together, our soft place to land. To thank you everday of your life will never be enough. I speak for all of us to say that we have been blessed all day, everyday of our life having you as our Mother!
I love and adore you! Kim
Post a Comment