Today is The Fourth of July - Independence Day - a national holiday to be celebrated with hamburgers, hot dogs, T-shirts with flags painted on them, music and fireworks. It is a happy day for us, as Americans, to observe. Do we think about why we are observing this day? Do we even mention to our little children what the day really means? I had a "pre-fourth cookout" last night with some of my great grandchildren and never once did I hear our country mentioned. I'm sure that when my girls were young and we had our grand "Cline Fourth Celebration" we never talked about what it really means to be an American and to live in a country that has the freedoms that we enjoy. That is one of the "do over" things that I have in my life. There are so many things that I think of now in my old age that I would like like to be able to "do over" with my girls. Alas, that is not possible.
On my recent trip that I have told you about, we spent part of one day in Philadelphia. The history of that place is not only in evidence with the buildings and the landscape, it is in the air. When I was standing in front of Independence Hall looking at the building where the Declaration of Independence was signed I was amazed. This building has been restored several times, changing the appearance of the building. In 1950 it was restored back to its 1776 appearance. The liberty bell does not rest in the bell tower of the building now. It has a place of honor in a pretty garden across the street where you can visit it, make pictures and walk around. This bell cracked the very first time that it was rung so it was sent back to have another layer of copper on it. That extra copper made it sound terrible so they had to recast it again. The bell was rung to announce all sorts of important events but, of course, the most important event was to announce the signing of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. As I rode around the city of Philadelphia I really got a serious dose of history and it does make a difference in how I view this holiday today.
Yesterday I shopped at WalMart and the young woman that checked me out was commenting on my Flag Pin that I had on my dress. She said "I have never been out of this country but I am told that if you ever leave for any length of time you will realize how lucky we are". I told her that I had been out of the country and, even though I was wined and dined and had a wonderful time visiting, I also came home glad that I am an American with all of the advantages and freedoms that exist for us. I think that we must do everything possible to protect freedom of religion. Sometimes I think we take the "freedom of speech" thing too far and expect to be able to say or do anything that we want even if it is morally wrong and hurtful to some. However, I'm glad that we have all of the freedoms. Our responsibility is to never abuse our freedoms.
Today has dawned a bit cloudy and reported to rain later in the day. Hopefully, all of the people that are having parties will not be disappointed. At 5:30PM today I will go to Kim and Brad's house to be joined by some members of my family, some friends, and Brad's mother and daddy. I am looking forward to being with all of them for the traditional meal and then sitting on the deck watching fireworks that we can see from that vantage point. When we stand in our circle and hold hands and offer a prayer I will not fail to offer up a prayer of thanks to a God that is good - all the time.
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO ALL WHO TAKES TIME TO READ THIS BLOG.
LOVE TO YOU AND YOURS
No comments:
Post a Comment