Tuesday, April 10, 2012

EASTER SUMMARY AND OTHER THINGS

While Houston and I were walking this morning I just spent my time thinking.  He spent his time sniffing at the grass, trying to "visit" with passing dogs and barking and howling at bicycles.  In other words we were in two different worlds.  The clouds overhead told me that rain was possible.  The cool air blowing my hair told me that summer is not here yet and, yes, it is spring.  The honeysuckle bushes were giving off a sweet smell that reminded me so much of my childhood and the honeysuckle vines that my mother had outside our dining room window.  My mind was going over several things - some good, some bad, some incidental.  The good thing I was thinking about was the wonderful Easter week-end.  On Saturday afternoon I was invited to Emily's house to join the entire Maddux family for a cook-out and Easter Egg Hunt.  Eleven of my great-grandchildren were there.  The oldest of the group, Emma, is 11 and the rest are below that in varying age groups.  While the boys yelled and screamed and ran rampant through the yard and the house, the girls experimented with lip gloss and baby dolls.  What a diverse and interesting group of individuals - and yes they are all so different as to be individualists.  Ray and Nita did such an outstanding job with Chris, Drew and Emily that it is no surprise that the legacy has continued with these little ones.  On  Sunday I went to my usual Sunday School class where the teacher is teaching a series of lessons on prayer.  It is a very interesting study and one that I have never done before.  Our worship service was totally Easter from the dark auditorium to the songs that were sung and the man dressed in robes reminiscent of the days of Jesus, giving the complete story of Christ from birth to Resurrection.  It was very spiritual, very inspiring and perfect for the season.  I will say that it was unlike any service that the Church of Christ congregations have ever done that I attended.  After that wonderful start to the day 34 people gathered at Kim's house for the most magnificent of meals.  Many pictures were taken and then Nita and Corinne prepared the egg hunt for these children.  How gratifying for me, the great-grandmother, to sit in a comfortable chair and watch these happy girls and boys scampering all over the yard gathering their eggs and then counting them and counting the money that was tucked inside each of them.  Maddux claimed the golden egg that contained paper money which was the envy of the entire clan.  Joesea just gave way to tears because she was so sure she would be the one to find the golden egg.  Everyone gathered their "things" together and after many hugs, smiles, tears and good-byes the day ended.  I came home happy to sit in my chair and tell Houston all about the day. The weather was wonderful.  It was just like a spring, Easter Sunday is supposed to be.  All of the children had on new, pretty clothes and were being cautioned to smile for their picture and then they could put on their "play clothes" for rowdy play.  Oh my goodness, just like it was when I was a girl.  I always had a new dress that Aunt Ree had made for me, new patent leather shoes with white socks, new white gloves and usually a straw hat or bonnet of some type.  I would feel so pretty and so special on that day.  In those days no child was given presents for Easter.  Now, as I understand it, children are given gifts equal to a Christmas gift.  I suppose that is where the Bunny comes into play.  My children were given baskets of eggs, candy of various kinds and maybe a book or some trinket.  Times change and traditions change and, at my age, I just sit and observe and try very hard to "go with the flow".
I will tell you that change is pretty hard when you are my age.  To tell the truth I don't do well with it.  Wouldn't it be nice if some things would stay the same?  I don't mean everything because people come and go in my life, the children grow up and have families of their own, those loved ones that taught life skills to me are now gone and I am left with their ideas and thoughts about life.  These very guidelines are the basis of the way I live my life now.  Of course, I have modified and sometimes magnified these things because what was is not always what should be in today's world.  Nevertheless, I am so happy that I had the mother and brother that I had and especially happy that I, not only grew up with Aunt Ree, I had her in my home for 13 years. 

I regret that I haven't been very faithful to write on this Blog recently but it is my understanding that most people, these days, don't worry with blogs.  Face book is the way to express yourself now I've been told.  Well, I don't believe I want to put my thoughts out there for the whole world to see and most especially to people that care nothing for me or my thoughts.  I hope that I am still being read by those that know me, love me, understand me and believe in me.  Those are the people that I am interested in reaching.  All others don't matter. I could write an entire blog on what I think about Face book and the people that have those little phone things in their hand reading and then typing and ignoring those around them.  I even saw someone in church one Sunday looking down at her hand that held the device so that she wouldn't miss one word that was being written.  I abhor going to a restaurant and seeing people not talking or enjoying each other and the food but looking down at their hand held computers.  Well, I must stop musing about things that don't concern me and really should be in the paragraph about change because Face book and all of the other Social Networking methods really scream the word Change.  I shudder to think what my mother would say about men with their hats on in the house and texting and talking on cell phones. She would be faint with disgust!!!!  Oh well, that is one of the wonderful things about life.  God knows when we have had enough of this world and need to move on.  That is why I am always so prone to say that God is good - all the time.  

No comments: