Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I WILL TRY AGAIN TODAY

Yesterday, August 6th, I spent an hour writing on this blog.  If I say so, myself, it was one of my better writings.  However, for some unknown reason (at least unknown to me) it disappeared into cyberspace and no amount of work, frustration or help from Kim could bring it back to the proper place.  I became so angry over the situation that I said "that's it...no more".  Today I was reading the newspaper and my Horoscope read as follows:  "Keeping up with people is harder than it should be.  You have so many ways to stay in touch, and yet your responsibilities and distractions make it challenging to find the time.  But try.  You'll be glad you did."  Well, I decided that I would come back to the computer and try once more.  However, I really don't know about the "responsibilities and distractions" stuff.

I have been plagued with Inner Ear problems for quite some time.  The dizziness and nausea that is caused by these little "crystals" floating around in my inner ear canal have really made me one unhappy camper.  I have found a doctor - an ENT - that seems to be helping me.  I have been given an exercise program and some advice to sleep propped up on pillows rather than lying flat and also since the left ear seems to be the culprit in this problem I am supposed to sleep on my right side.  This presents a problem to me because I seem to be flipping over during the night, unawares, and I wake up with a slight feeling of dizziness so I guess the doctor knows what he's talking about. 

Speaking of sleeping - I have done very little since the Olympics have been on.  Some of the events do not interest me but it appears that the ones that are my favorites come on the TV the latest at night.  I will stay with the gymnastics, swimming, diving, syncronized diving and some of the running events until the wee hours.  I am so proud of our United States athletes.  They have done exceedingly well.  I cannot believe that Gabby Douglas, at age 16, is able to have such total command of her body as she does.  I will miss the Olympics when they are totally over and I have to go back to re-runs or old movies.

Yesterday on the "lost Blog" I remembered Billy on the anniversary of his death.  Fourteen years ago yesterday, August 6th, Billy gave up his battle with cancer.  I just hope that if that dreaded disease should ever invade my body that I will be able to handle it with the grace and dignity that he did.  He never quit living, working, enjoying his family, going to see his grandchildren perform in sports or whatever they were doing.  I'm sure that he would be quite proud of all of them as they are today.  Carter's football and baseball talents, Drew's basketball team won the State, all of the great-grandchildren play various sports and are amazing to watch, Anni shows her skill on the guitar at her recitals and now it seems that Joesea is going to perform with theater and voice recitals in a few months.  He was his children's greatest cheerleader.  Billy and I became high school sweethearts and were still sweethearts when he died.  Our life together was quite interesting - probably would make a pretty good novel with its ups and downs, tears and laughs and intertwined with the most diversified group of friends and associates one can imagine.  I miss him and it is good fun to remember some of his antics and things that he said and did.  I'm sure that he is at peace now.

Tonight is my Music Lover's Club meeting.  Barbara Lutz talked me into joining this group of accomplished pianists, organists and singers.  How do I fit into this austere group?  I don't!!!  They talked me into joining by telling me that I could write and read things I wrote or things that other people wrote that would be of interest.  So far I have done pretty well but tonight may be my demise.  I have gathered some really interesting facts about Mozart and, hopefully, I can present them in a way that won't put the group to sleep.  I am thinking of resigning because I feel so inadequate when one of the men plays so professionally all of the great composer's music or one of the women plays the organ. I stay in mainly because this is about the only time I actually see Barbara.  It seems that she is so busy on her side of town and I am on this side doing my thing and we just don't make the effort to get together like we used to when we were working on an East High project or something of that nature. 

Speaking of East High, I resigned from the Scholarship Committee because of difference in the philosophy that I have with the president, vice president and past president over the way the money is handled for the scholarship awards.  I did finish out the season and we gave 20 deserving students $825.00 each, which was the least amount of money we have ever given.  We have never given less than $1,000.00 and I was quite disappointed.  However, my hands were tied and I decided that I would just "silently slip away" which I have done.  Word is now getting around to the alumni association and I am having lots of telephone calls and conversation about it.  When this group of officers are replaced I will probably go back.  The scholarship program has been my passion for many years.  It requires lots of hours of work but I never minded and apparently did a pretty good job.  By giving that work up I have found that I have a lot more time now to read and do other things.  In fact I believe that I am getting rather lazy as I slide through these hot, summer days.

Well, speaking of hot, summer days it is getting late in the morning which means the temperature is rising rapidly and I haven't taken Houston out for his morning walk and for my morning walk so I shall stop this rambling, hit the publish button and pray for success today that it will show up in the proper place.  My dizziness has abated and I am ready to take on the day and all that it has to offer.  I know that it will be a good day because any day that I am healthy and able to love my family and my friends and my Lord is a good day.  I can do that today because God is good - all the time.

No comments: