I seem to always get very nostalgic on the last day of every year. I really don't know why because each year has always contained good times, just OK times and some pretty bad times. 2012 has been such a year. January brought the normal amount of events - Corinne and Mark celebrated 30 years of marriage, I started a new Bible Study on the Book of James that lasted 10 weeks and was very good. Jackson Smith and Nicholas Maddux celebrated birthdays. February was a very cold month and The Committee Group enjoyed a Soup Lunch. It is always so good to get together with this group of East High Friends and visit. In this month John Ed Maddux turned 5; Anni Routh turned 9; Sarah James turned 7, we celebrated Merli Routh and realized that our babies were growing up. Kim had her birthday on the 18th. March "came in like a lamb" so I suppose the weather will get cooler as the month progresses. Mary Hollis turned 3; Cord turned 4 and Tracey had her 48th birthday. On March 17th Tracey, Danny, Carter and I left Nashville for Panama City, Florida to the wonderful vacation-baseball tournament that I have covered in a prior Blog. We don't have any family birthdays in April, but the month was a busy month for me with Grandparent's Day at Goodpasture, lots of East Scholarship meetings to determine the recipients of our scholarship and baseball games several times a week to watch Carter play. May began as a lovely Spring month as the crocus and daffodils began to bloom and the wild flowers beside the walking track burst into lovely bright yellow and pale violet. Maddux Routh turned 7; Jeffrey Benton turned 15 and Kim and Brad celebrated their anniversary on the 31st. Emily and Jackson started out the month of June by having an anniversary on the 2nd and Jacque and Wayne celebrated their anniversary on the 15th. Connor turned 8 on the 22nd and his mom and dad, Leslie and Russell celebrated an anniversary on the 27th. Brad and Cassie celebrated an anniversary on the 29th. Cici Routh turned 4 this month. July was "firecracker hot" as usual. I enjoyed the apartment's swimming pool as my friend, Terrie, and I went there each morning and did our version of water aerobics. Nita and Ray celebrated their anniversary - their 40th. Courtney turned 21 and celebrated her "adulthood" with a trip to Chicago for shopping and theater and a birthday dinner at a great restaurant. August meant back to school and back to college and lots of activities surrounding both events. Wayne and Jacque treated Sara and I to a trip to Pigeon Forge. We saw The Blackwoods Show featuring Brad Smith, visited in Brad and Cassie's home, saw another show, did some shopping, ate lots of good food and had a wonderful time. Patrick Maddux turned 5. The month ended with Corinne's birthday on the 31st. September was a "biggie" as John Patrick had his very first birthday party and Kim made it a spectacular event. Tracey and Danny and Drew and Tara celebrated anniversaries on the 12th of the month. Christopher Maddux turned 7 and entered first grade. October is my favorite month - maybe because it is my birthday month and maybe because the leaves are turning beautiful colors, the air in the morning is cool and crisp, the days are warm and reminiscent of the Spring days we enjoyed earlier in the year. Jacque celebrated her birthday on the 4th and the next day Emma turned 12 and my first great-grandchild is growing up. We had the East Alumni Golf Tournament and, even though it was a lot of work, it was a great event - profiting over $8,000 for the scholarship fund. I celebrated my 79th birthday surrounded by my girls and sons-in-law. Age means nothing when you celebrate with your children. Ava had her 9th birthday. I enjoyed a luncheon on Halloween with the friends from my Bible Class and it was a lovely way to end a month. Joesea started out the birthdays in November by turning 7. Cannon turned 6 with a great party at their new home in Florence, Alabama. Chris and Ashley celebrated an anniversary in their new home in Jackson, MS. Thanksgiving Day found us celebrating the event at Brad and Kim's home. What a feast we enjoyed and also all of the laughing, teasing and fun that was enjoyed. Will Carter turned 4. December brought the Holiday Season to us in full swing. My only problem is that I have to use the oxygen and it is a hassle to haul around with me but I am so thankful for the relief it gives me so I will not complain. Lots of lovely parties were held in this month, including our Cline Girl's Cookie Swap that was held at Emily's new home. The Committee Group had a Christmas Lunch this year rather than Dinner. I guess we are getting too old to drive at night but age did not deter anyone from having a lively, laughing, fun time as we played "Dirty Santa" and ate turkey and dressing and all the other dishes. I was treated to a lovely luncheon at Pat Johnson's home in Franklin and her home is beautiful. It was decorated to the max, including 14 Christmas trees fully decorated and beautiful. Joesea had two performances this month that entertained me - one a voice recital where she sang the theme song from Beauty and Beast and did a great job. The other was a vignette from Girl's Gone Wild where they sang and danced. You should have seen her doing the Locomotion. That girl has some moves on her body at this early age. Kim and I had our annual Mother/Daughter Day where we start with breakfast at I-Hop and shopping at Macy's and Dillards. We do most all of our shopping on this day and even though we are both pretty "broke down" we manage to buy what we needed and have enjoyment with it and with each other during the day. We were saddened to lose J. B. Cline. He died on the 21st and my girls and their husbands and I attended the funeral on Sunday, the 23rd.
The Cline Christmas was held at Nita and Ray's house and I was proud and happy to present to each daughter and son-in-law a gift bag containing my chocolate covered cherries, fudge candy, spiced tea mix and the cook book that each one had contributed recipes for and had been an on-going project for me and for Kim for many months. I also gave a bag of candy and the cook book to each granddaughter. The cook book was received with exclamations of delight which pleased me very much. Christmas Eve Paul and I went to Candlelight Service at First Baptist and then to dinner at Mimi's restaurant. He gave me a beautiful pearl ring for Christmas.
The month has ended as it always does - Nita's birthday. We had a lovely luncheon at Tracey's home for Nita, her sisters, her daughter-in-laws, her niece and one of her grandchildren (Anni) and of course me. What a lovely day and what a lovely person to celebrate.
So you see, 2012 has been a good year for me. I have had a few "bumps in the road" concerning health issues. My macular degeneration has caused me to feel as though I don't need to drive a car and that makes me very unhappy. I have always prided myself on my independence since Billy died. Now I have to depend on others for my transportation. However, my girls are so kind and so supportive with this issue. I have so much to be thankful for that I must remember to not complain. I live in this lovely apartment. I have my wonderful dog, Houston, to love and to love me back. I have many friends that I love and enjoy visiting with either by phone or in person. I am such a blessed woman that I know without a doubt that God is good all the time.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
No comments:
Post a Comment