Monday, July 15, 2013

SO MUCH TO CATCH UP ON

Well, without my computer I was lost for a while. The technician at  Staples was very informative in explaining my problems but the only thing I really understood was when he said I owed $150.00.  Anyway, I have it back now and it is really doing well.  I will try my best to reconstruct my life since June 19th. 

Actually, there really hasn't been that much going on in my life to get all excited about.  The rain and the hot weather has prevented me from being outside a whole lot.  I walk Houston early and late each day but the humidity makes my breathing shallow and causes me to use the oxygen more than usual.  I am so glad that I do have that oxygen when I do need it, but it causes me sorrow that I have to depend on other means of breathing easily.  However, my doctor told me just last week that I was doing so well that I do not need to see him until January of next year.  How about that?  Pretty good I think. 

The East High Alumni Board met the first of July and we elected new officers.  My friend, Pat Johnson, was elected President and that made me very happy.  In fact, I was pleased with the entire slate of officers.  They were installed and after the meeting we had a reception to honor the incoming and outgoing officers.  We are deep into plans for the All-Classes Reunion which will be held on September 28th.  The Golf Tournament will be the day before and it is causing much distress for the committee because at this time only one team has sent money and signed up.  Also, not many people have registered for the reunion.  I tried to tell the chairmen that they should not get too upset because it has always been the practice in the past that most registrations are received two or three weeks prior to the function.  The entire event is being held at East High School and ends around 2:30 or 3:00pm that afternoon.  There is supposed to be a Sock Hop downtown at some club that is owned by a new board member but, since I have no interest in it, I don't know much about it.  I am working to get some hole sponsors for the golf tournament and I am supposed to decorate for the reunion but that is all of my obligation.  I'm sure we will have lots of meetings, discussions and planning sessions between now and September.

July 4th was a disappointment for a lot of people who had outdoor plans because it stormed like crazy the day before, the day of, and the day after.  So many things had to be cancelled.  It was possible, however, to have the fireworks downtown and some of the concerts at Riverfront Park but many things were called off.  It did not matter to my family because Corinne, Mark, Jacque, Wayne, Paul, Sara and I went to Nita and Ray's house for hamburgers, hot dogs, all the side dishes and homemade ice cream and cookies.  We didn't have any children because they were all in Florida so having an adult party with adult conversation was quite a novelty.  We certainly did miss Kim and Brad.  Kim had surgery on July 2nd to remove a small place on the back of her tongue.  We, of course, were quite concerned and were so happy when the doctor called a few days after the surgery to tell her that it was benign - no cancer.  What a blessing.  She has been very weak and has felt very bad since the surgery.  Her throat is so sore and her body aches from the position that she was in on the operating table during the surgery.  I spoke with her this morning and she said that she felt better than she had in quite some time.  Naturally, this made me feel happy and, in fact, made my day. 

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival home of my granddaughter, Courtney.  She has been in Australia for several weeks and will return to Nashville on the 21st of this month.  What a glowing account of the trip she has sent to us from Brisbane.  She was with a group (I'm not sure how many students) and two professors from U.T. Knoxville.  They are all studying Marketing/Advertising and they stayed in a domitory and went to classes Monday-Friday.  Then on the week-ends they traveled to beaches and points of interest.  The cutest picture I saw was of Courtney patting a kangaroo, but she has sent many pictures and e-mails and messages since she has been away.  It was difficult to find the technical hook-ups to communicate but she did the best she could.  Now she is in Sydney and the last I heard she had been to the fabulous opera house and was visiting an art museum.  I am so proud of her and just can't wait to sit with her, looking at her pictures and listening to her dialogue.  She even sounds more mature in her writings so I guess the old adage that "travel broadens and matures" must be true. 

Yesterday was a lovely day for me.  After Sunday School, Church, and lunch I was invited to go with Nita and Ray to Emily's house for Ray's birthday celebration.  They were at the neighborhood swimming pool which was a lovely place - olympic size pool, playground, picnic tables with umbrellas and comfortable chairs to sit around and watch the children swim.  Drew, Tara and their children; Emily, Jackson and their children were there so we had a lot of children to keep up with.  We had pizza for our supper and then went to Emily and Jackson's home for homemade icecream and chocolate cake.  It was a wonderful day and I was so happy to get to see my grandchildren and my great-grandchildren.  It seems like those little ones are growing up so fast. 

Today has been a quiet day.  It is extremely hot and humid so I have been inside the cool apartment.  There is no telling what my electric bill will be this month because I have used my air conditioner continuously.  I find that I must have no humidity and the apartment must be kept cool - even if I have to put on a sweater.  The TV today said this week would be in the 90's all week and "old people and animals should stay inside and be very careful when they go outside".  I'm taking them at their word.  They predict rain showers every day but so far we haven't had any.  Yesterday going from the pool to the house it sprinkled a bit and then as if to say "look how much God loves you" there appeard the most beautiful rainbow.  I mean it stretched all across the sky and was several colors.  It was a beautiful sight to behold.  Just another evidence that God is good - all the time.

No comments: