Thursday, October 31, 2013

NOT ONE SEPTEMBER BLOG - UH OH

Comcast has changed everything about this computer, including this page.  I have worked for many minutes just to get into the site.  I now have no way of checking the spelling or deciding which font to use.  Also, now my words do not always have a space between them.  Please bear with me as I try to catch up the months of September and October.

September was a busy month for me because I was involved with the East High Golf Tournament and the All Alumni Reunion.  The golf tournament was held on September 27th at Shelby Golf Course.  The day was bright with sunshine and 59 golfers came to play.  After the golfers took to the links, several of us went to the alumni house to set up for the supper and awards party that would take place later.  The next morning Corinne and I met Kim at the alumni house to carry through my assignment to decorate for the reunion.  We had red and gray balloons, helium tanks and Corinne made big red bows to decorate the stairs coming into the school, the registration desks, the gym and the auditorium.  I thought it looked pretty colorful and also very festive.  The day was full of laughter as friends met friends from their classes and it was a very successful day.  I came home that afternoon very tired, but very pleased with the results of labor by many people.  I had lunch in the cafeteria with Barbara Lutz, Willie and Carole Rice, Janet and Lyle Haden, Charles Haden, and Rockne Porter.  I loved spending time with these friends.

October started out with the girls and me celebrating Jacque's birthday at Rafferty's Restaurant. We had a great time, as usual, when we get together. 

The greatest thing that has happened to me in many years was on Saturday, October 12th.  My birthday- the 80th one - was celebrated in great style.  The day started with Paul Kemp coming to drive me to the beauty salon where Samantha Medina was waiting to transform me into the"Belle of the Ball".  She did my hair, my make-up and helped me dress into my new, beautiful outfit.  We drove to East High School and as we drove up the driveway the sight that my eyes saw was my precious family - 40 of them - waiting for me to arrive. Kim Hargrove was there as the photographer for the day.  As I descended from the car, my heart was beating so fast and the tears that would ruin my make-up were forming so I had to swallow real fast three times and smile real big in order to take my place for the picture.  My girls were sitting with me.  My grandchildren and spouses were behind me and seated on the ground in front of me were my 18 great-grandchildren. 




 After the picture was taken, we all went to the alumni house that the girls had reserved months ago and decorated with beautiful flowers, pictures and a three tiered birthday cake. Many people came and it was a delight to see them, to embrace them, to talk to them and since I did not know who they had invited, each guest was a surprise to me.  Even though the invitation had requested "no gifts",  I was given some lovely presents and a basket that was overflowing with beautiful cards, which I read every word of later that night.  Much too soon all of the guests were gone and I was delivered back to my apartment, tired but so happy to have been honored in such a wonderful way.

My friend, Sara Chauvin also celebrates her birthday in October.  Her date was the 27th and her family went to the Omni Hut for dinner.  I had planned to go with them, but due to my knee problem I elected to stay at home.  Speaking of knee problem, for some reason my knee began to collect fluid and the pain was almost unbearable.  I called for an appointment with my doctor and they gave me one about a week away.  In the meantime I have iced it, taken Advil, used Aspercream and also worn a knee brace (courtesy of Tracey) and it is much better.  In fact, I have cancelled my appointment which may have not been a very smart thing to do.  I know that he would order an MRI and possibly other terrible tests so I will have to wait and see if I did the right or wrong thing by not keeping my appointment.

On October 26th, my first cousin, Billie Rinks Lovett, who lived in Columbia died.  Her husband, Dorris, called me to give me the sad news.  Billie is almost 3 years older than I.  As we were growing up we spent much time together.  I would ride the Greyhound bus to Columbia and spend a week or so in the summer and she would come to Nashville and vacation with me.  She was a bridesmaid in my wedding.  We had always planned that I would be in her wedding but she chose to marry when I was 8 months pregnant so that did not work out for us. Billy was a groomsman so we participated in all of the wedding activities.  My mother came from a family of 8 children and now everyone is gone except just a few of us that are second cousins and I don't see or know much about any of those people.

Last night I had a most enjoyable evening.  Wayne and Jacque took me to the Hermitage Hotel for dinner.  We started the evening with a cocktail in the historical Oak Bar.  I finally found a bartender who could make a Bacardi Cocktail and I enjoyed it immensely.  After our drinks we went into the Capitol Grille which is an elegant dining room.  I had grouper and on the plate was a green vegetable (kale I think) with strips of yellow squash and thinly sliced raw apples.  The presentation of that plate was beautiful.  The taste of the food was wonderful.  After finishing our delicious meal, we walked to the Tennessee Performing Arts Building to attend a stage production of The Jersey Boys.  It was an outstanding performance - orchestra,. singing, acting - a complete package.  They sang all of the songs that I loved and listened to in the 60's.  I remember so well when they were the group "Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons" performing on Dick Clark's programs on TV.  I was tired when I fell into my bed a 12:00 Midnight but it was a good, tired.

Today is Halloween.  It has rained since before daybreak and predicted to rain all night - even storm, they say.  The wind is blowing very hard and, therefore, Houston and I have not been outside at all.  He has been following me every step I take and looking at me as if to say "Now?  are we going now?"  I hate to disappoint him but that's just the way it is.

I have brought the Blog up-to-date now and with the holidays just ahead, maybe I will have more events to write about.  The year is drawing to a close.  It seems like the days, weeks and months go by so fast.  I wonder, at times, how many more Christmases and holidays I will be here on earth to enjoy.  When you get to be 80 years old those thoughts do cross your mind.  I'm not worrying about it because whatever time I have left will be a blessing and I will know that whatever comes or goes that God is good - all the time.

No comments: