The newspaper, the TV and all other sources of news tells me that there is more, and very serious, unrest in the Middle East. My Bible tells me that it will always be that way. Here in my world, the big news is that John Seigenthaler has passed away and is being buried as I write this. I did not really know him but when I worked at the newspaper office, and he was Editor, I would see him and he was a very handsome man and a very friendly person. He met and married a young singer named Delores Watson and in 1954-55 when Billy and I lived on Greerland Drive they lived across the street. For some reason I do feel sad at his passing. He did so much for the Civil Rights Movement here in our state and also in Alabama and Mississippi.
Speaking of Mississippi, I had a wonderful trip to Jackson. When we arrived Ashley's mother was babysitting a "fussy" baby and the other three children were obviously awaiting our arrival. Soon after we got there, Ashley came home from her doctor's appointment and Chris came home from his day in court and our visit began with a Mexican supper. The 7 hour drive had tired me some so I went to bed and left them in the living room talking. The next day found me sitting at a table in the French Garden having coffee and loving the cool breeze and the scent of various flowers - all colors and varieties. That is a lovely, peaceful place in their world. Their world, by the way, includes Christopher, John Ed, Mary Hollis and now a 7 month old baby girl, named Lucy. The older children are full of energy and are constantly moving, even when they are standing and telling you something they are moving back and forth. Mary Hollis is so beautiful I can't adequately describe her. She has blonde curly hair and startling blue eyes. Lucy is crawling and by the second day of our visit had become interested in us and wanted us to hold her or play with her which we did. We had a traditional fourth of July supper that included fried chicken and all of the appropriate side dishes. We enjoyed a beautiful fireworks display from the golf course at the Jackson Country Club. The whole trip was just a delight from start to end. I love the beautiful old southern neighborhoods with big houses, large yards that are neatly groomed and the slow moving personalities of all of the people. Nobody is in a hurry and nobody seems to care if they are doing all that needs to be done. They believe in sitting in the garden, drinking a beverage of your choice and just relaxing. I could really be happy in that world. It seems that here in Hendersonville everybody is in a hurry. The cars move fast. The people walk and move fast as though they have to be somewhere very soon. Everybody spends hours on the telephone - the cell phones I mean. Even the people walking on the track have cell phones in their hands and are talking as they exercise. I guess you have to be 80 years old to slow down and smell the roses as they say.
Yesterday it was so hot. I believe it was 95 degrees with a very high humidity. Today is a bit cooler and if we get the storm they are predicting it will be very cool and comfortable by the end of the week. I have learned to live with the heat by taking Houston out early and then again around 6:00 pm. He, being 13 years old likes to walk slow and he is ready to get out of the sun and heat as soon as I say "let's go home"/
I am really having a tough time with my eyesight. Writing this Blog is an effort because it is so hard to read what I have written. Therefore, I ask your indulgence for my many mistakes. I had a lot of letters to write this past week. They were letters of acknowledgement of money that people had contributed to the Scholarship Fund. I made sure that each letter was checked and rechecked for any mistakes and finally satisfied myself they were okay to mail. It felt good being caught up on my work.
My decision to move to Nita and Ray's house is becoming more obvious today than a month ago. That is how much and how fast I had an "eye change". Cooking is almost a past activity for me because I have to use a flashlight to see the temperature gauge for the oven or microwave. I have a great fear of fire. I am doing fine with the oxygen. I try to keep my oxygen level up in the house so that when I go outside I don't need to take oxygen or when I go to a restaurant. As the doctor says when he prescribes medicine "use as need". That is what I do with the oxygen.
Well, I guess I have whined enough for this writing. I did talk about my good trip and that trip made memories that will never be forgotten. If I have a few health issues, well, what do I expect at my age? At leas I have had a great life, with a great husband, and four wonderful daughters, and now i am in the winter - having had a wonderful spring, summer and fall, so I will say that God is good - all the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment