I was very nicely admonished this morning for not posting in such a long time. I suppose that my "creative juices" have not been flowing or maybe I have been moving so fast in my world that I didn't take time to stop and report. However, here I am to tell you about my recent life.
Going back to last week another first occured for me - a Golf Tournament - which I knew nothing about and now know all about. We (Developmental Learning Center) sponsored a golf tournament at Old Natchez Country Club on May 19th to raise money for the school. We began working on this project in February and it seemed as though we had lots of time to get sponsors, players, make arrangements, etc. Well, all of a sudden here we are at this beautiful venue and ready or not here we come. It reminded me of the times that I have planned one of my girl's weddings - weeks and weeks of planning and wondering if it will go right and then there it is everybody doing what they were supposed to do, weather perfect, golfers excited and competitive, and after all the dust settles and the bills are paid and the money counted an amount of $10,000.00 was made for the school. Now how about that for a first time endeavor? Pretty good - no - wonderful I say. We are already talking about "next year" and what we will do and won't do.
The "Biggie" in my life - personal life that is - was my trip to Jackson, Mississippi this past week-end. As evidenced by the picture today of Christopher, John Ed and myself, you have no doubt, I'm sure, of the fact that I was one happy camper to be perched between these two beautiful great-grandsons of mine. Nita and Ray invited me to accompany them for the Memorial Day Week-end and I jumped at the invite. We left Nashville on Friday afternoon, along with many other travelers, and hit the road around 5:00pm. After making a stop for supper in Jackson, TN we arrived at Chris and Ashley's house at 11:45pm. They were in bed and didn't even hear us as we quickly bedded down for a good night's rest. From the time we woke up on Saturday morning until we left on Monday morning it was just "one grand time". Watching the two boys as they played, ate, interacted with each other and with us, and just visiting with the entire family was certainly a joy and a pleasure. Christopher entertained me with his singing of Dynamite (every word) and other songs that he knows, his "God is great, God is good" blessing that he says and makes sure that everybody holds hands. He even stopped in the middle of his prayer to admonish John Ed to "hold hands John Ed". We went to church and enjoyed the service that pointed out the sacrifice that the soldiers have made in war but the ultimate sacrifice was the one that Jesus made for us. After an absolutely marvelous lunch at the country club we all had a nap time - all except John Ed that is - and then we made preparations for our dinner with Carolyn and Larry Hollis. Monday morning came so fast and it was time to pack up and head for home. Why is it that time flies by like a bird on wing when you are having such a good time? However, as usual, I was happy to come home and I did enjoy sleeping in my good old familiar bed. Reflecting on the trip this morning I will say that I feel closer to Christopher and John Ed after having spent time with them. They "cozied" up to me and called me by name and we bonded, at least for a while. I hope that they will remember the time we shared and I know that I will.
Now, dear friends and family, I will make my way to the gym for a dreadful walk on the treadmill. I just know that after the food I have consumed over the week-end including Baskin Robbins ice cream and caramel cake, etc. it will be quite a feat to be able to last 30 minutes on the machine - then the bicycle and the rowing machine - oh woe is me!!!! Wonder why I do this. Well, I know why - it is to try to make myself live longer so that I can have more visits with grandchildren and great-grandchildren and go to more school programs and recitals and ball games and glean as much wonder and happiness as possible for as long as possible. My family affords me opportunities that I will take advantage of as long as I can. That, my people, is what life is all about. Thank the Lord that I have been given these blessings. When people say to me "you do too much" or "you need to slow down" I just look at them and smile because there is no way that I will slow down or stop until I am stopped on this earth and then I will just proceed to another place and get busy again. Don't you think that is a good plan? I do.
2 comments:
Mom,
I am so glad that you finally posted! I miss hearing the details of you routine.
Have a good week,
Love you,
Kim
I am so glad you have updated us Mimi! I am also happy you had such a great trip to MS. You are a fabulous Mimi to all of us!
I love you,
Leslie
Post a Comment