I have been waiting for pictures to accompany my "blogging", but decided to go ahead this morning and write a few thoughts that I am having. Pictures and story about my recent trip to Destin with Tracey and Courtney will wait until Kim has time to scan and print my pictures.
Today I want to talk about the way that God has been moving in my life. So many things that have happened to me and thoughts that have come into my mind are examples - perfect examples - of the way that He is working within me. First thing was when Barbara Lutz asked me to serve on her committee to work behind the scenes at Developmental Learning Center and I agreed. Then she asked me to work at the school as a paid assistant to her with the task of raising money and I agreed. Then the Board of Directors asked me to serve on the board and, again, I agreed. All of these things happened simultaneously within a matter of a few months. Now I am working three days a week, five or six hours a day, and getting more immersed in the passion that I feel for this school and the work that is being done there for the troubled children that I see. In the past few months we hosted a golf tournament that netted over eight thousand dollars, we have written some grant applications that have resulted in four thousand dollars, we just finished sending out three hundred letters asking for donations which has already brought in several hundred dollars. You see, I guess that I got involved in the first place because of my association with Lauren and the desire that I have to see her get help and these children are so much like she is. Anyway, I think that God put me there for the purpose of helping with their needs and in so doing He gave me a new challenge - a new purpose - a new good work to do. I think that He was telling me that even though I am getting old there is always a place for me and that I must not sit still and vegitate as I have seen some elderly people do.
Elderly - that is a word that I have always used to describe Aunt Ree or the women at Maybelle Carter and now I am using it to describe me. How is that for a shot of REALITY?
Another way that God has spoken to me is through my precious daughter Kim. Her tragic illness and her inability to live her normal, fast track, working many hours each day, scrapbooking all of her memories, taking care of Brad, Patrick and me, sleeping very little has all changed to lots of rest, having help with her daily tasks, spending many hours making sure that all of her business records and personal records are up-to-date so that nobody will have any questions in the future - all of this has made me see just how fast life changes. We are hearing so much from the political candidates about "Change" and how we must embrace change with this or that and I, sometimes, want to scream "leave things alone and don't change", but there again, God comes along and He will change whatever He wills and we must accept it and know that He has a plan. I am the perfect example of the person who says "WHY?" So, all I can do for Kim is pray continuously for healing, cook steak and gravy, drive her crazy with phone calls asking "how are you today?" and doing what all mothers do best - worry. Sylvia, at church, asked me yesterday if she could put Kim on the Sick at Home List and I told her "not unless you want to get us in a heap of trouble". Kim is like her daddy and she will fight this illness until her last breath and keep answering "fine" when you ask her how she is doing.
Today will be a busy but wonderful day. This afternoon I will go to a tea for Derek Owen's bride at Cheryl's house. Cheryl will not be there in person because she is so sick in the hospital, but I know that we will feel her presence in spirit because she is so excited over the marriage of her son and had so looked forward to this party. Then we will hop in the car and make our way down I-24 to Clarksville for the BIG BIRTHDAY BALL PARTY to honor Connor Cline Pigg's fourth birthday. It is so hard for me to believe that he is already four years old, but then I look at Cannon and Cord and realize that Connor really is the big brother. The weather person on TV this morning said "scattered showers" but I'm sure they will be scattered all over another area - not Clarksville and certainly not at Connor's party.
So you see, God has been giving me many new things to do and think about - some good - some bad - some in between - but the good thing is that He is also giving me good health, a reasonably good mind, and the faith and strength to deal with whatever He has for me. I am blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment