Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Carter is a Teen-Ager!

Happy Birthday to Carter. I cannot make myself believe that Carter is a teen-ager! Thirteen years old - that birthday is such a big deal I think. His daddy was kidding him last night that he couldn't call him a "pre-teen" anymore. Of course, Carter just grinned and said nothing, but I could tell that he is very glad that he is now a teen-ager.

Speaking of last night - wow!!! what a night! Tracey, Danny, Bobbie and Jim Wiseman, Nita and Ray and I sat in amazement while the trainer of the soccer team declared to us that Courtney was suffering with a contussion. We went to the game, got all settled as the teams (Franklin Road Academy and Goodpasture) were introduced and the game started. Right away Courtney scores a goal and we all cheered and the excitement started. Then in just a little while she began to play "different". By that I mean that I noticed that she wasn't moving as fast and wasn't going after the ball as she had been. She sat on the bench perfectly still - not drinking her water or talking or anything and then when the half was over and the game started back she didn't go into the game. From that time on it was Danny talking to the trainer and the coach and Courtney being checked, and then the trainer talking to Danny and Tracey. When they decided to take her to the hospital they put her in a golf cart and drove her to Danny's car. As she was going past me she looked right into my face with no recognition - just a blank stare. Let me tell you that my heart just almost stopped. However, after being checked out at the hospital, many prayers being offered in her behalf (they even prayed for her where they were building the floats for the homecoming festivities) she was pronounced to be dehydrated and she hyperventilated and it caused her to be disoriented and confused and her blood pressure to drop. Today she is at home in the loving and caring arms of her mother resting, drinking liquids and being pampered beyond belief. So you see, once more we can say with much feeling and gratitude "Thank you Lord". Last night was a brief flashback as I remembered Tracey as a five year old lying in the driveway beside her bicycle suffering from a contussion. Sometimes I just wonder how in the world we get through some of the things that happen that are so serious, so scary and so hard. There is just one way and we all know that it is with the Lord's grace, love and healing hand.

For all of you that know me well you know that when anything happens in my life that is traumatic I am strong, courageous, and can handle it well until the crisis is over and then what do I do? Go get in a bathtub of hot water and cry. That was where I went last night and what I did!!! Now, I have given away my secret weapon to dealing with adversity.

No comments: