Monday, September 15, 2008

Always enjoy being with friends....

I have been told that I should "post more and say less". That is probably very good advice. However, once I get started writing I find myself just going on and on and on. Tonight I will try to be brief.

There is a saying that goes something like "there's no friend like an old friend" and I never quite knew whether the "old" in that sentence meant age or length of time of acquaintance. Well, this past week-end I was connected with friends of both age and time. First I went to the Triple L Ranch cattle sale in Fernvale, TN. This ranch is owned and operated by my former boss at Lee Company, Wallace Lee. For fifteen years I have worked this sale for him. By working the sale I mean that I keep up with who bought which animal, what they paid for it and then write the transfer papers, health papers and take the money. It gets pretty hectic but it is also very exciting. The friends that I saw there were of all ages from Wallace at age 77 to his youngest grandchild. The Lee Family is very near and dear to me. I also saw people that I worked with for many years and that was a treat. Good thing I enjoyed the people because the heat, the humidity, the dust and the animals really made my sinuses go crazy and I am just now getting back to normal.

Also, along this same line - I went to the 50th Anniversary Celebration for my friends Sherron and Earl Campbell. Now they are friends of long acquaintance (age as well) and we hold lots of memories between us. Also, attending that party was many people from my past that I had not seen in years. Isn't it funny that these people that are aging look so different until you look in their eyes and see the smile and then all of a sudden they look just like they did when we were walking the halls of East High School or attending Chapel Avenue Church of Christ.

This next week-end my East High Class of 1951 will host a picnic at a classmate's farm in Hendersonville and I have no idea who will and who will not attend but it will be the same thing - old friends getting together and cherishing the friendship and the memories of a wonderful time in our lives. We will laugh, and hug and talk and eat and when the sun goes down we will have made another memory to put in our scrap book.

May God bless all of you and give you peace, good health, happiness and love.

No comments: