Monday, September 1, 2008

Live, Love and Learn




Isn't it funny (maybe odd is a better word) how you view subjects as you get older? I can remember so well going to Uncle Pat's house as a young wife, mother, daughter in my early 20's and the first thing he would tell me would be the weather report as it was before I came, as it was at at that moment and what the prediction was for the rest of the evening, night or whatever the case may be. I would think to myself "who cares?", and wonder why he didn't have more important things to think about. Today I have found myself watching CNN and other stations on TV that are giving the information on the hurricane that is pounding the Gulf of Mexico and heading for Louisiana, Alabama and Texas. I have found out the importance of such things as weather but only as it pertains to human life and property destruction. It was important to Uncle Pat because he had lived through tornadoes, hurricanes, depression, financial and property loss and he knew that it was important to keep up with current conditions. As I creep toward the age of 75 I understand more and more what Uncle Pat, Aunt Ree and my mother meant when they told me things that I deemed to be unimportant in those days. I believe that the adage there would be "live and learn".

I was privileged to live and learn this past week-end. Along with three of my daughters and two of their spouses I went to the wedding of my nephew in Georgia. Since this was a Cline wedding there were other Cline's in attendance. The Cline people that we visited with were those that had estranged themselves from me and my family for many years. Cheryl's illness and death has taught the family - both sets of Cline's - that family is so important. Now, it seems that we will be seeing more of Faye, J. B., Jimmy and Judy Cline and also Alice and her husband Henry. Judy is already planning a family reunion for the entire family in December and Ray and Jimmy are talking of a golf scramble for sometime this Fall. Life is fragile. Life is short. Again, I remind you of Carpe Diem.

Back to the wedding. Rosemary Cline Taylor and her husband, Ron, have two children - Alex and Jessica. They have never lived close to us and we only saw them on special occasions. You know how that goes - funerals, weddings, etc where you say "I wish we could get together more often" and then it is two or more years until you do. The whole week-end was full of laughter, talking, eating, joking, teasing, shopping, and then witnessing the beautiful ceremony of Alex and Lindsay becoming a family of their own. What a happy, joyous time it was for all of us. We had assumed that it would be so hot sitting in the late afternoon sun for the ceremony that Tracey and I prepared for the heat in every way possible. Well, that was just not to be. The setting for the ceremony was shady, the sun was setting, a huge fan was operating and it was delightful. No perspiring, no hair drooping, no clothes wrinkling, just comfort. Can you beat that? I think that God was just so pleased with all of these Cline people coming together that he fixed it for us.

We were so sad to be without two of our main "peoples" - Kim and Alice. Kim suffered a fall on Thursday and was in too
much pain to make the trip. Since she is so important to all of us and is so much fun and so witty we missed her humor and her "spunky" ways throughout the trip. Alice's husband, Henry, is ill in the hospital and she couldn't leave him so we were without her charm and her sense of humor. We really felt their absence. Also, they both had looked forward to being with each other and having some fun. Prayers are requested for Kim and her health issues and Henry and his needs.

Today is Labor Day. I think that this day was meant to be a day of rest in order that those that labor for a living could have some time off from their work. However, as with everything else - shopping stores are open, grocery stores are open and gas stations and most everything that the public needs access to. I think that is terrible. I believe that all businesses should take a day of no work and let the working people have time for a holiday. I am also from the "old school" that believes that Sunday should be a day of rest also. I applaud the owner of Chic-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby for closing his stores on Sunday. I, myself, am "laboring" here at home by cooking a meal for our Labor Day Celebration. It is a labor of love, however, because I do love to cook and serve a meal to my family and friends.

Labor Day is more than a day of rest for working people because it signifies the end of Summer. As most people my age have said more than once in the past few days "where did Summer go? Seems like yesterday we were celebrating graduations, 4th of July and vacations". Well, let me tell you Summer went fast, Fall will go faster and Winter will move faster still. That is the way life is now. We just buzz along from one thing to another and before you know it another year has come and gone and we are still wondering where it went. Just another example of what I preach in each one of my blogs - Live each day to the fullest. Love all the people in your life that mean so much to you and tell them that they are loved. Spend as much time with your loved ones as you are able. Sing all the old songs like "Lazy Hazy Days of summer" and "She'll be Coming Round the Mountain" and other fun songs. Read lots of good books. Look at old pictures and say "I remember that day". Sit on your porch in the late afternoon and watch the birds and squirrels play in your yard. Watch your cat lie in the sun sleeping lazily. When a good jazzy song comes on the radio hop up and dance by yourself (no ones looking so what the heck). Call a good friend up on the telephone and talk an hour if you want to. Write a note to someone telling them that you are thinking about them, or you want them to get well, or be happy or whatever you need to say and then stamp it and put it in the mailbox - does no good if you don't send it. Most importantly of all tell God that you love Him. Tell Him thanks. Tell him how much you appreciate, as my mother used to say "life and all of its attendant blessings" and we do have many. My mother was a pretty smart old gal and had a lot of good advice. I'm still learning from her after all of these years.

Happy Labor Day and go buy your mums and plant them and get ready for football games, soccer games, wearing sweaters and shoes instead of shorts and flip-flops, eating chili and soup, making plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas and whatever else may come your way. Love to all.

No comments: