Sunday, February 22, 2009

Home and Glad

As the song says "the party's over" and that certainly applies to me as I write this message to you, because when that ship docked Saturday morning and I walked down the gangplank to the car I knew that it was back to the real world. My "real world" is what I was ready for. As wonderful as the cruise was it just can't compare to the life that I have every day. The excursion trips to Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten were very interesting experiences. All my life I have heard of those places but I never knew what they held - the bluest water, the history, the little shops that are run by the natives for their special items, driving on the wrong side of the little narrow streets, and many other things that I could mention. The big item on all three islands turned out to be diamonds of all kinds - blue ones, white ones, brown and pink ones, etc. The prices were very high but people were buying them. I enjoyed the shop on St. Thomas called "Mr. Tablecloth". The linens there were beautiful and so very unique. The ship that I was on, Carnival Glory, was fabulous. The many activities provided were endless and if I had been forty years younger I would have enjoyed everything - the discos, the midnight buffets, the karaoke lounge, the dancing and partying until daylight - but alas I know my limitations and those things were not for me. However, I was privy to fabulous, gormet dining each night in a very beautiful dining room. The friends at my table enjoyed eating, talking, laughing and sharing memories of days of long ago at our East High School. When we revealed to people on the ship that we were a group of high school alumni they were amazed. It appears that there are not many people who had what we had in high school and could care less to remember those days.

The many remembrances that passed through the e-mails on the date of February 18th were very dear to me. I read them all. My mind was focused on Billy that day also. He was a very special person to many people, not just family but also to friends. It was ironic that the night of the 18th the production in the theater on the ship was something that he would have loved. I could almost hear him whistling and clapping as those scantily dressed women with long legs and beautiful bodies danced and sang songs from the 50's.

Well, the lovely vacation came and the lovely vacation went and now that I am home I will do as the song, That's Life, says - "I will pick myself up and get back in the race" and also I will rejoice in each day and be glad in it.

No comments: