Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Sunday at Freda Villa

Easter Sunday - what a wonderful day that is for me. I can remember past Easters when my girls were little and I would be up half the night polishing shoes, pressing dresses, making sure that everything was just perfect for the next day. Easter baskets were so much fun to prepare. I really hated it when the girls got too big for bunnies, eggs, marshmallow chickens and filling each basket with their favorite candy. Soon it was "hey Mom could I have a new Barbie outfit this year instead of candy"? Then it became "hey Mom could I just have the money to buy..." They always had a specific thing they wanted to buy and needed just the amount of money that I would spend on Easter Baskets. Of course, the saving grace was I had little Tracey that never got tired of the basket of goodies. Time moves on and so does everything else. This year some of my family was absent because of other plans that they made. This changed the day. It was not bad, not unhappy. Just different. We focused all of our energy and fun on the family that assembled at 705 Freda Villa. We had a wonderful - absolutely marvelous - luncheon of honey baked ham, potato salad, green beans, corn surprise, dressed eggs, big green salad, fruit, rolls and a whole bevy of desserts. If I say so myself, my yard looked fantastic - the grass was so very green in color and just high enough to hide the 50+ eggs that Corinne hid. The children won kites as a prize for one of their games and they, with the help of Brad and Russell, managed to keep them flying and out of the trees. They swang (push me higher was the cry over and over) and they played ball and they chased each other and loved everything. The men loved the Masters Golf Tournament and watched it until the last putt in the playoff. The weather, that had been so atrocious all week, was just perfect for our day in the yard. Every year as the people leave with their containers of "left overs" and tired, dirty children, good bye kisses and hugs are given and love words are spoken and we all say the same thing -"this was the best Easter we have ever had". Of course what mother wouldn't just be the happiest when her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren are gathered in a circle holding hands and praying to the God that is so good to us; giving us everything that we need in life and giving His only Son so that we might be together again in Heaven some day to celebrate with all of our loved ones. Praise the Lord.

No comments: