Saturday, June 20, 2009

THE TRIP THAT TOPS THEM ALL


My last post told you of the upcoming trip to Destin, Florida with Kim and Patrick. Today I will pretend that I am in Trip Education 101 and report what I gained in knowledge from the trip. I learned that three people can cram an awful lot of "stuff" in a trunk of a car, including a guitar, when packing for a 5 day trip. I learned that a scrambled egg with crisp bacon and a biscuit sure tastes a lot better at Cracker Barrel on a trip than it does in my kitchen. I learned that if the person holding the driving instructions dozes off for 10 minutes the driver will miss an exit and a turn-around has to be accomplished. I learned that unpacking all of that "stuff" takes a lot of time and energy and makes you wonder just what you were thinking of to bring 10 shirts, 4 pairs of slacks, a couple of other outfits, 4 bathing suits, 5 pairs of sandals not to mention all of the "unmentionables". I learned that when you go to the Winn-Dixie to buy a "short list of things that we will use" it adds up to $100.00 real quick - and we didn't even buy ice cream. I learned that margaritas made by a grandson and served at the pool taste better than any I ever had. I learned that watching Patrick and Sue Evans para sail over the Gulf was fun, exciting and something that was fun for them and a big "no-no" for me. I don't like heights and especially if my feet are dangling down over miles and miles of water. I learned that sitting on the beach under an umbrella and walking in the sand still gives me such pleasure and such joy. I guess that the greatest lesson I learned was that to be blessed to spend time with my daughter and my grandson from morning until night for 5 days is a priceless gift that can never be repaid nor forgotten. We talked and laughed and joked and teased and ate that good seafood. Patrick made lunch every day and served us on the patio and I'm telling you that a ham sandwich, pickles, chips and coke never tasted that good before nor will it ever taste that good again. I learned that my daughter, Kim, is the strongest person I know. She pushed herself beyond all endurance to shop, swim, go to restaurants, take a million pictures of every single event and never complained nor changed any plans to accommodate her pain. She was there to take it all in and that she did. We all did. Oh yes, one more thing I learned - it makes you very nervous to have a driver going 75 miles an hour, texting friends, reading messages, dipping and spitting all with headphones on playing crazy music. However, I will say that he got us there and he got us back and here I am telling you that of all my trips to Destin, Florida through the years, all the memories that have been made there, all the events that have taken place there, this little 5 day day trip with Kim and Patrick just tops them all. The thing I really learned is to Carpe Diem - Seize the Day - Everyday that the Lord gives us is a gift to be savored.

2 comments:

Kim Pigue said...

Mom, loved the post and yes I dearly loved the trip. We made wonderful memories every second we were there. I love you! Kim

Anonymous said...

amen! thats all I can say!
Starr