Friday, June 26, 2009
LEGACY
Today, while watching all of the hoopla over Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson I heard the word Legacy mentioned over and over. The legacy that she leaves is strength, etc. The legacy that he leaves is his influence in the music and entertainment industry. So I thought to myself what legacy will I leave? I really can't say what that will be but I can say what I hope it will be. I hope that my children will be proud of the way I lived my life. I hope that my children will look back at their childhood and say it was good growing up in our family. Sure I made a bunch of mistakes but as I have said before everything that I did while rearing my girls was what I thought was right at the time. Looking back on it I'm not so sure it was but I thought it was. Frankly, I think a pretty good job was done because they are a good bunch of women that are producing generations of children and grandchildren. Sometimes I am amused to see and hear them doing and saying things that I said to them. They even say "because I said so that's why" and that was something they each have told me that they would never say to their children. History does repeat itself and that's a fact. I hope that I will leave a legacy of humor and good fun because my life has been a real fun trip. Being married to Billy Cline was a road with lots of turns and twists and never dull for sure. We weathered a bunch of storms and we walked in a lot of sunshine. It is quite a feat to see a guy in junior high school that you think is great and as mother would say "I set my cap for him", and had him in my life for many years. I hope that it will be said that I could put a meal together at the drop of a hat and enjoyed serving friends and family. I hope that it will be said that I loved unconditionally. I hope that it will be said that I was a true friend to my friends. When we are travelling the road of life we do and say and act impulsively sometimes and goodness knows we all wish we could take back some of our words and actions. But as Meg Ryan said in the movie, When Harry Met Sally, "once they're out there, they're out and you can't take them back". Kinda like toothpaste - once you squeeze the tube and the toothpaste comes out there just is no way of putting it back. I hope my legacy will be that my words were pretty good most of the time. For now I think I have said enough and I hope not too much. What about your legacy? Think about it as you make decisions. When you are gone your legacy will still be here. Scary isn't it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
wow! I am thinking now.... thank you my sweet Patsy Cline, for your thoughts on 'legacy'!
I love you
Starr
Mom, I have pondered about your post now for 2 days about what my legacy would be, very thought provoking.
Post a Comment