Tuesday, July 14, 2009

TUESDAY'S THOUGHTS

I visited with Kim yesterday, Monday, and found her to be in terrible pain in the back of her head, the side of her face and all along her throat area. She is still quite swollen under her chin. This, we have been told, is all normal and a part of the post-surgery recovery. For some reason she decided to take her pain pills every six hours rather than four so quite naturally the pain would get beyond her endurance before she could take the pill. I encouraged her to please stop prescribing for herself and just read the label on the bottle, listen to her doctor and take the pills every four hours. She might also listen to her mama on this subject also. Samantha came and brought tortilla soup and potato soup and banana split ice cream and we all enjoyed a nice lunch. After I finished my household chores I left Kim in the capable hands of Samantha who was going to fix her hair and help her freshen up for the day. Last night the church ladies began their gift of bringing dinner. She has people signed up through the month of July. This just makes my heart nearly burst with joy and love for these members of our church family. Susan Greene, her longtime friend, arranged all of the calendar, signed the women up and the food chain is in place which will be such a gift to Kim, Brad and Patrick. Her family will fill the week-end spots. Because she is eating her strength is returning. She is still very weak and can't stay up in a chair or walk for very long periods of time, but I can see that she is stronger every day. I, along with my entire family, thank everybody that is, or will be, a part of helping Kim in her recovery whether it be food, notes, cards, e-mails or most importantly prayers. We will never be able to thank you enough.

On a personal note, I want to tell you that I went to my East Nashville High Alumni Association Board Meeting last night where I have served as president for three and a half years. We installed new officers last night so now I am holding the office of Past President which simply means that for the next two years I will sit in the chairs with the rest of the board and be available to give my thoughts on certain subjects. This is a good thing. The wonderful thing that happened last night was the accolades that were given to me and it was quite humbling. I really did feel so special. Then, as if kind words were not enough they presented me with a beautiful silver tray. To those of you that know me best you know that I love to entertain and I love to entertain with beautiful dishes and serving pieces. I love this group of 35 alumni of the school that meant so much to all of us at the time we attended. As the song says "those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end". But, time marches on and life with all of it's turns in the road is still a beautiful road leading to a wonderful end. God is with us all the way. What is it that they are all saying in church houses now? "God is Good" and the congregation says "All the time". Amen

No comments: