Forty years ago today, July 16th, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Alred landed Apollo Spacecraft on the moon and did the famous walk and placed the flag of the United States on the surface of the moon, while delivering the famous quotation that we have heard so many times. I remember so well that day. Billy was sitting in his green recliner and I was lying on the orange cushioned sofa in our den on Valley Park Drive and a man named Ernie something (can't remember last name) was watching with us. We sat there in awe that this was happening and not only was it happening but we were able to see it in our home. We just thought that nothing could ever top this event. It was just the ultimate and so unbelievable. Just think of all of the things that have happened since that day. I have to laugh when I think of all of the messages that would have gone on Facebook or the text messages that would have been sent. If I was to start listing all of the changes that have taken place since then it would take up all of the space on my computer but I ask you all to stop, think and make you a list. The world is totally different today than it was forty years ago. Makes you wonder what it will be like forty years from now. I won't be here to see it but I guarantee you that the list of changes will continue to grow and grow. That is what life is - changes and improvements. Sometimes I wonder if we weren't a little better off then. Life seemed to be a little simpler. Just like I know that I was born during the depression but grew up in the best of times. When I think of how Summer nights were spent playing kick the can, capture the flag and other games in the street with no fear of kidnapping, guns, knives or other mean things happening I am sorry that my grandchildren and great grandchildren are living in a world of so many restraints on their activities. However, we must move on because these new improvements are called progress.
While speaking of progress I will tell you that Kim is progressing with her recovery from the surgery. Yes she is in pain. Yes she is still weak. But she is staying up more, doing some work in her office, enjoying her cards, notes, messages on e-mail and especially Facebook conversations. The ladies at church that are bringing the wonderful meals to her are such a blessing. She has found out what I knew already that Family is Everything! It may be your church family, your biological family, your friend support group - all adds up to the word Family. I really feel sorry for those that don't know the importance of family connections. As I have told you previously, Kim will go for a meeting with the radiation oncologist on Monday so she will find out what the plan is for her in that direction. I pray that the treatments will not be so severe and that whatever cancer cells that are lurking in her body will be destroyed. I ask for your prayers as she starts down this new road in her life. I know that God has a plan for her, as He does for all of us, and He will be with her every step of the way. What I said in my earlier blog "God is Good -All the Time" is what we have to hold on to every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment