Wednesday, August 12, 2009

FAMILY AND FRIENDS - GOOD TIMES

Good grief, it is now August 12th and I haven't written on this blog in many days. Time just flies when your're having fun as the old saying goes. I'm not sure that my time has flown with fun these past days, but I will say that it has surely flown.


Last night was a fun time, however. I had my Summer Supper for my girls and their husbands. Anni Routh was visiting me yesterday so she, my friend Sara, and I took off for the Farmer's Market bright and early. Anni, being six years old and having never been to the Market, was totally in awe. She could not understand the trucks that were loaded with corn, nor the many baskets of yellow squash or any of the other wonders that are available in that magnificent place. I love the Farmer's Market and it was a joy to me to be able to introduce it to my great-granddaughter. My menu last night consisted of all fresh vegetables with a big plate of cornbread and finished off with banana pudding. I love to cook for people who love to eat and that group last night did not disappoint me.






We were so delighted that Kim was able to be with us. She looked so pretty and I do think that she enjoyed everything. Her plate held an ample amount of food and seconds were called for by her. I had been holding her Prayer Blanket that was made by Mary Rainey and was a project of the Women's Ministry at Madison Church of Christ, until such time as would be appropriate to present it to her and last night was perfect for that occasion. Most of the fringe had been tied by her friends at church and they had signed two cards that I had for her. As each member of the family tied and prayed for her they signed a card just for family.

Also, Corinne gave each of us a bracelet to wear in honor of Kim. They, of course, are purple (so is the prayer blanket) with KIM Jeremiah 29;11 ("For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future") engraved on each one. If you look at Kim's blog today you will see the bracelets and get a glimpse of the blanket also. Each of us has a package of these bracelets to distribute to our friends. It is amazing to hear of all of the various groups that have Kim on their prayer list - churches, clubs, care groups, etc. All of it is so heartwarming to me, as a mother, and to Kim as she suffers this time in her life.


Tomorrow I am hosting a luncheon at the East High Alumni House in honor of a classmate that I haven't seen in many years. He lives in Arizona and is here for a short visit. He requested to me that it would surely be a treat to get to see some of his special friends from high school. Well, you know me, Miss Organizer, I got busy. He sent me a list of those people, I wrote a letter, have organized food (hopefully enough food is being prepared), and as of this date 30 people have responded that they are coming. He is so excited and, frankly, so am I because it will be so much fun to sit in the Alumni House and reminisce with these dear friends that meant so much to me for so many years. As I have said in this blog before there are just no friends like your old friends - and I don't mean in age even though that holds true here - but these people just seem to bring back so many good memories and you can just go back in time for a little while. I don't advocate living in the past but sometimes it is good to put the present time with all of its trials and tribulations to rest and bask in the sunlight of a wonderful time in your life. Try it sometime and I promise you will like it.

1 comment:

Kim Pigue said...

Thank you for the wonderful dinner and the great fellowship that we had last night! I love you!