Tuesday, October 13, 2009

KIM IS OUT OF THE HOSPITAL

Tonight is Tuesday, October 13th. I was reminded by a friend today that I haven't written anything on this Blog in days and, therefore, she had to call Patrick to find out about Kim. I am sorry for the delay. These have been pretty busy days for me. Kim was dismissed from the hospital yesterday and I brought her here to my house to care for her. We had a hectic time getting her, the two bags, pocket books and whatever else we had to the car, into the car, and home. She was pretty exhausted when we got here. Brad came last night to hook up the feeding tube at bedtime because the plan was that she would have the tube all night and then in the daytime she would eat what she could manage but it wouldn't be too bad if she just couldn't eat at all. Well, what a night that girl had!!! The tube came out and the liquid went everywhere. She turned the machine off and changed pajamas and went back to bed. From that point on I think she was up and down, up and down. I checked on her during the night and found the machine off and pushed to one side and then I heard her and checked on her again. So, my night also was up and down and up and down. However, finally we both got sleep and when I got up this morning she was "sawing logs". She has had a better day. She has eaten her meals and drank her Boost drinks and we decided that tonight we would not do the feeding tube. Kim is not used to so much food and she has to do what feels right for her. I supported her in her decision to try the food route and use the feeding tube when she just absolutely could not eat. Okay, enough about food and such. Her pain level is probably staying around 3-4 now and she is more alert and we have had some really good talks and she has even smiled a few times today. She has had a day of anxiety, however, and some tears have been shed. I told her that if she felt like crying go ahead. What is that song that they used to sing? "It's my party and I'll cry if I want too". Sometimes it just helps to have a good old cry doesn't it? I am so glad that she is content to stay here with me in my house because it is so much easier for me, the caregiver, to be here at home.
On a happy note, we have a home for the dog, Buddy, and he will be leaving the kennel on Monday to go live in Gallatin with a lovely couple that are so eager to have him, to love him, and to give him a home. Some stories do have a happy ending don't they?
Tomorrow I will turn the page and this old body of mine will scream at me that I am a year older. Wow, last year I was on the sofa with my arm in an immobilizer from the fall and surgery that I was recovering from. Seems like each year there is something - what is it that Gilda Radnor used to say on SNL? "If it ain't one thing it's your mother". Amen to that!!!

No comments: