Wednesday, February 24, 2010

JUST THINKING OUT LOUD

When I started writing with consistency on this blog it was to keep you informed about Kim and her progress with the Big C. Now, I suppose that I will write and tell you just how I am handling the move from my house to the apartment is going. Maybe you are not really interested and if not then just click off but I find that when I write something and get my thoughts out of my head and on to paper (in this case a computer screen) I do better. Yesterday I went to Target and bought some storage bins to use for my packing purposes. I brought them home and set them in the dining room floor and went about the business of reading my book, taking a nap, visiting with Tracey and Courtney, having dinner and going to bed. This morning those things were right where I left them and just as empty as they were yesterday. So, after I wrote some notes to people, addressed a birthday card, read my e-mails, had a phone call or two I just felt led to get up and get busy and lo and behold I really made a dent in this moving thing. I climbed up on a step-stool which is a real big no-no from my daughters but I was very careful, had a telephone handy in case I fell and I went through everything in the top of my closets in my bedroom. I really enjoyed seeing all of the things I hadn't seen in years. Are you that way or is it just me? Do you put something away and then forget it until some reason makes you see it again? I found a whole box of beautiful linens that my mother had embroidered. I found a package of Georgia O'Keefe paintings that I bought in New York at the Metropolitan Museum years ago (my intention at that time was to frame a couple), and I could go on and on about what all I found which means nothing to anybody but me. I cleaned out drawers in my dresser. What a horrible mess that was. Long story short - I have a huge bag for Good Will, a storage box of purses and keepsakes to take to the new place, a bag for the trash and lots of room in drawers and nothing in the tops of the closets. I am crowing like a bantie rooster over how good I feel. Tomorrow I will tackle another room. I believe I can see a little bit of light at the end of this tunnel.
Yesterday I had a nice visit with my granddaughter, Courtney. She came by on her way to somewhere - she is always on her way here there or yonder as they say. She is so pretty and so interesting to talk to. Actually, she came to bring me an application for the East High Scholarship that she had completed. I have known for a long time that she was a senior and that she was going to graduate from high school and that she was no longer a little girl but it hit me square in the head yesterday that she is a grown woman. She is going to U. T. in Knoxville in the Fall and things will never be the same again. That is not a bad thing. It is a normal thing; a good thing actually. But for a grandmother it represents a change and grandmothers are not really good at change. Seems like these 18 years have really moved fast. I just hope that I can hang around long enough to see her graduate from U. T. and then see her do whatever it is that she will do and I can assure you that it will be exciting and wonderful.
Tonight I will go to Shoney's and have supper with Kim and Corinne and then go to my Bible Study at church. We are studying "Breaking Free" a series of lessons by Beth Moore. Ten years ago I took "Breaking Free" but the things I needed to break free from then are different from now so she has up-dated the course and it is very good. I think that, once again, God was leading me to study and to break free from things that really are not important like houses, material things, stuff that are almost idols and to just stop it and trust Him and He will take me on the path and over the hills and keep me safe. I am basically a "control the situation" person and I am learning to break free of that and as the saying goes "Let go and Let God".
It's nap time - see you later.

1 comment:

Kim Pigue said...

I am so proud of you and the progress you are making. It is probably a good thing I am not there because I would keep pulling out things and saying "you can't get rid of this, it was Daddy's or Aunt Ree's" and I would grab it and bring it to my house! We all know that we have no storage over here. I also love to read your posts especially when they are not about the big c! I love you! Kim