Saturday, May 22, 2010

A PERFECT WEEK - BLESSINGS GALORE

Today is Saturday, May 22nd. I returned home last night from a perfect week that was spent in Destin, Florida with Kim, Patrick and Chassen Haynes (Patrick's best friend from day care to this day) and I can say again it was Perfect. We left my house at 7:00AM last Sunday morning and stopped for breakfast in Columbia, TN for a big Cracker Barrel Breakfast. Then we took off down the road through Alabama and arrived in Destin in the late afternoon (can't remember the exact time). After putting our things in the condo we went to Buster's for a great dinner of shrimp, salads and potatoes. Chassen took advantage of the "oystermania" and had a dozen oysters. Monday dawned with a sky so blue that no artist could have reproduced that color. A nice breeze was blowing and it was just a wonderful feeling to be outside with a lovely pool to lounge beside and nothing to do but read and enjoy the environment. Chassen and Patrick made sandwiches and brought them to the pool for Kim and I to enjoy under a gazebo. Our days were so happy with lots of conversation, lots of laughing and teasing and the boys just made our entertainment. They had lots of "inside jokes" left over from their Goodpasture and MTSU days and they would just melt into a heap in the floor in loud laughter. I spent one day on the beach sitting in a chair under an umbrella reading and watching the people. The sand was so white and the water was a dark aqua color spitting out white foam as the waves broke against the beach. It was strange not to see a lot of people on the beach but we were told that a lot of people had cancelled their plans due to worry about the oil spill. There is no oil on the beach and those people sure missed a great chance at a good time. Patrick made the decision to come back on Friday and it was agreed upon by the rest of us. It is like Kim said we had eaten at the restaurants we liked and we had enjoyed the pool and the beach and we had ridden all over Destin and even went to Bay Towne to see the sun set over the wharf and look at the huge yachts that are anchored there and we had been able to sleep late and take naps so it was time to come on back to reality. After we got back I was asked by several people what I enjoyed most about the trip. The thing I enjoyed the most was being with Kim, Patrick and Chassen. Kim and I had some really good talks while sitting at the pool. We don't get to spend much time together ordinarily so it was such a treat to see her the last thing at night and the first thing in the morning and to sit on the patio and have coffee and little white donuts was a great pleasure for me. I am glad to be home. It is always good to go away for a few days and it is always good to come back home. My mother told me that as people get older they appreciate their homes and their lives more and I think that is true. When I was younger and would go on vacation I hated to come home and get back in the "grind" of my life, but now I'm always glad to come home. I feel so blessed to have had this time with my daughter. When she was so very ill I was wishing for such a time and that time came this past week. She is such an exceptional woman. She is so much fun. My vacation is over and my life is going to be filled this week going to the eye doctor, the dentist and many other things that are certainly opposite to what I have been enjoying but as the song says "I get back up and get back in the race - that's life". My life is filled with many blessings because as I have told you before many times God is good - all the time.

No comments: