Monday, May 31, 2010

MEMORIAL DAY - 2010

Today is May 31st - Memorial Day, 2010. This year is really moving on, almost half gone. I remember a song that was popular some years back titled "Funny How Time Slips Away". That is so true. Take for instance, I set the date to move from my home on Freda Villa to the apartment and it was two months away. Before I had time to go through all of my "things" and do the packing moving day came and here I am. My life has changed drastically since I moved to my apartment. My days are not as busy. My tasks are not as stringent. There seems to be more time to read books, talk on the phone, clean up old files that need to be up-dated, take care of notes that need to be written and take a nap when it feels good to do so. All of that sounds ideal but for me it resonates with the word "change". As I have written in this space before change does not come easy at my age. However, I will embrace this life with my usual tenacity and things will work out magnificently I am sure.
Last night I had the pleasure of being with Chris, Ashley, Christopher, John Ed and Mary Hollis Maddux. They came for the long week-end from Jackson, MS and it was delightful to spend time with them. Chris, being the first grandchild (also a male child for me to love), is always a joy to be around. Their children are exceptional and when the two boys led the Lord's Prayer before dinner with each and every word properly pronounced I was astonished. Mary Hollis is a tiny little person dressed in beautiful clothes and walking as fast as little year old legs will go. Also, we were privileged to have Cord Pigg as a guest and to see Cord with tap shoes on playing ball in the driveway was a real hoot. We were being entertained by Nita and Anni in tap shoes doing a routine and Cord wanted to be included. Emily and her family were in attendance so you can imagine what a good time I had with my children and my grandchildren and my great-grandchildren. It is a proud moment for me to see how accomplished, intelligent, healthy and beautiful these descendants of mine are. God continues to bless me over and over and I thank Him every day.
Today, being Memorial Day, I imagine many parties have been planned. The overcast, cloudy day does not signal good environment for outdoor activities and I regret that for those that are affected by the weather. I remember what a big day Memorial Day was when we were members of Blue Grass Country Club. The pool opened on that day and would be packed with mothers and children while the golf course was filled with daddies and other male and female players. We would swim, sun bathe, eat hot dogs and hamburgers and come home sunburned, tired and everybody very happy and sleepy. Of course, the primary reason for this day is to honor the military that lost their lives while serving our country. My brother served in the Army and thankfully came home after his two year service. He was rewarded with the opportunity to attend Vanderbilt University, paid for by the government, and graduated with a degree from that prestigious school. I am thankful that he did come home and I grieve for all of the young men and women who never made it back to their families, schools, jobs or whatever life they left. Our country, no matter what we think about the way things are at this time, is the best place to live and those of us that have been been placed here are the most blessed of all people. I pray that our freedom will continue and I also pray that someday peace will reign all over the world.
I, personally, do not have any plans today for cooking, partying, visiting with family or friends, so I will stop this writing now and attend to matters that need my attention here in my home or maybe I will get that book I'm reading and open me a coca-cola and some munchies and have myself a lazy, hazy day of Summer.
Have a Happy Holiday. Take time to salute the men and women who served in all of the many wars that have affected the United States and always remember that God is good - all the time.

No comments: