Wednesday, June 9, 2010

JUST RAMBLING THOUGHTS

Today is Wednesday, June 9th. It is hard to realize that the year is almost half over. That sounds like I am a person that says the "glass is half empty" rather than the "glass is half full" and really I am a "full" person by nature. Maybe I am just a little bit depressed today because it is a depressing day of clouds, thunder, rain and lots of wind. I haven't been outside at all today because it was not conducive to walking or sitting on the porch. However, I have been at this computer many hours catching up on my East High Scholarship work and when I finish with that I can put my files away for another year. I really do enjoy working at this new, fancy desk that I have and it is much easier to type when I can pull out the part of the desk that holds my keyboard and not have to reach over the desk as I did for many years. I sold my old desk in the estate sale and somebody really got a good old desk. It belonged to Billy and it was big and heavy and served a great purpose for many years.

One reason I am feeling "down" a bit is because I buried one of my dear, longtime friends, George Hulsey, yesterday. He and I graduated from high school together and his wife Rachel and I were friends since high school. Rachel left us 5 months ago and poor George just couldn't make it without her. I have heard of people dying of a broken heart and scoffed at it but now I believe that there is more truth to that than I knew. He did have many health issues but he grieved all the time for his Rachel. Another friend of long standing, Kenneth Haas, had a stroke and fortunately it is not a bad stroke (if there is such as thing as good or bad strokes) and that has made me sad. You know, Art Linkletter was so right when he made the statement that "old age is not for sissies". A person has to be tough and have lots of stamina to handle old age for themselves as well as for their friends.

Life at my apartment is getting so much better. It never was bad but for some time I almost felt as though I was visiting and not living here. Now, it seems like everything is in order and more and more I am getting used to my surroundings - not only here in the apartment but in the streets and places around me. For instance, yesterday I went to the Hendersonville Library and got my library card. The library building is beautiful and so spacious. You could put two Madison libraries in this one. I have never seen so many rooms for this and rooms for that and the number of books, DVD's, VCR's and everything was astounding. The place was buzzing with people of all ages and I know that I will enjoy spending time there. Also, right next to the library is a park with lots of trees and tables and a really good place to spend a lazy Summer afternoon reading and enjoying the park. In fact, there is a track here at my apartment complex that goes under the street and ends at this park and if I could walk several miles it would be great exercise for me. I'm not up to miles of walking at this point but who knows what might happen. It is something to think about for sure.

It seems as though I went to Florida at the perfect time. From what I read and hear that oil stuff is moving into places like Destin, Panama City, etc. When we were in Destin it was perfect. The days were warm but not too hot, the ocean was calm and beautiful, the seafood was excellent and it was just a wonderful place to be. I feel sorry for all of the people that have vacations planned and are canceling their plans and losing out on what I enjoyed for five days.

When I sat down here to write today I thought I had a lot to say but now it appears that I am just rambling on and on about nothing so I will close and make me some dinner. The vegetables are beginning to be so tasty and I have enjoyed cooking squash, green beans and even the tomatoes that I bought the other day are enjoyable on a BLT sandwich. Each season has a special gift and the Summer gift is the good vegetable crop. As always, I can say that God knows what we need and supplies it for us. God is good - all the time.

No comments: