Thursday, June 24, 2010

JUST DROPPING IN TO SAY HELLO

I was reminded by a friend today that my last post on this blog was quite some time ago so, therefore, I decided that today would be a good time to say "hello" to my friends and family who take the time to read my rambling thoughts.

Actually, I haven't had very much happening that I felt was worthy to convey. However, I will tell you about my past week-end. Jacque and Wayne invited me to ride to Dyersburg for the occasion of Connor Pigg's 6th Birthday party. They told me that we would go for a "surprise breakfast" on our way out of town. I had in my mind that it would be Loveless Restaurant because it was on the way to West Tennessee. Was I ever shocked and surprised when Wayne pulled into the parking lot of The Farm House Restaurant on the grounds of the Fontanel Mansion. You may remember that Barbara Mandrell and her family built this beautiful estate many years ago and lived there until they moved away and sold it. Now the grounds contain a gift shop, a restaurant, an Amphitheater, walking trails, bus tours and many other things. We had a wonderful breakfast and a good visit to the gift shop before getting back into the car for our trip. The ride to Dyersburg was reminiscent of the many times that I went to Martin, TN when Tracey was in school at U. T. Martin. Same road, same scenery, different exit. Our visit to Leslie and Russell's lovely home was extraordinary. The party was quite an extravaganza as Leslie had researched a Ball Team Party and it was complete with ball park music, popcorn, hot dogs, candy, ice cream served in plastic ball caps, a big softball pinata filled with candy that was finally broken by a child's strong arm at bat. Connor and his friends enjoyed every facet of the party and I observed everything from a chair in the shade. Needless to say the weather was beastly hot. It was evident to me that Leslie and Russell have made many friends in the short time they have lived in Dyersburg and are quite embraced by the community. They have the ability to go into a strange city and endear themselves to the inhabitants in record time. This makes me very happy and also very proud.

I haven't had a very active week due to the 90+ degree days. It appears that when I go outside and the heat surrounds me I just melt as if I was made of snow. Little by little my stamina goes, my breathing is shallow and I find myself seeking shelter and air conditioning wherever it may be. I really enjoy the grocery store, the library and any restaurant available. My apartment is so very comfortable and cool that my favorite place these days is in my lounge chair with a good book. When I remember the days before air conditioning I just marvel at the way I lived and withstood the heat with very little argument or discussion about the weather. I can remember coming home from the hospital with Corinne and the temperature was 105. We went into our apartment on Greerland Drive and put the new baby in her cradle and there was not a dry thread on her clothing or mine. With electric fans and windows open to the breeze we went about our lives never knowing that the day would come that windows would close and fans would be a thing of the past and the temperature could be controlled. I suppose that a list could be compiled a mile long of changes that have occurred during my lifetime that have made living much easier so it makes me wonder why I do so much whining about this and that. I remember asking Aunt Ree to tell me about the things that had changed in her 98 years of living and she would talk about street cars, telephones where you had to tell the operator what number you wanted and so many things that she remembered. It seemed hilariously funny but some day my great-grandchildren will laugh at things that are happening here and now. I go over to Kim's house and my son-in-law, Brad, has an electronic book that he reads, he has a telephone that does everything, he has a DVD, a BluRay and many more gadgets that only he knows how to operate. I wouldn't dare to touch his big TV because he has so many remote controls on his table. Too much for this old mind of mine to absorb. I do well to write on this blog and sometimes I erase my writing before I can say "Publish Post". I do love to fool with the computer and learn how to do new things but sometimes I have to call Kim to come and fix my "disasters".

Today I am going to an East High Luncheon that is held every month at a restaurant in Madison. We normally have between 85 and 100 people in attendance. It is always fun to see some of the people that I went to school with as well as people that were before me and after me in classes. I will never lose my love for my high school and my high school friends. I lost a very good friend this month, George Hulsey. He had a beautiful voice and just last month I heard him sing "Can't Help Falling In Love With You" and it was so pretty even at his advanced age. He sang at my wedding and many weddings of my friends. I will miss him because he was a big part of a group that got together frequently. Didn't mean to write morbid thoughts but it does seem as though I have lost a lot of friends lately. Funerals are not my favorite outings but they have been a big part of my schedule lately.

Very soon the month of June will be over and we will be celebrating the 4th of July. I love that day with red, white and blue shirts and the flag being displayed, hot dogs and hamburgers and the wonderful fireworks shows that so many places display. The Nashville Fireworks at Riverfront Park are really spectacular. I may possibly be in Jackson, Mississippi for the 4th this year and I understand they have a huge celebration at the Country Club where Chris and his family are members. That will be fun and if I do go I will have a good report to write about. The year is moving on and before you know it we will be celebrating end of the year holidays. I don't know why it is but time, or the lack of it, seems to be prominent in my life these days. Seems like the days just fly by and I wonder what I am accomplishing. Maybe I should make a resolve right now to use each day that I have to the fullest potential. That would be a good resolution for everybody. God gives each of us 24 hours each day and if we don't use it then we lose it. He gives us our abilities, our time, our necessities, our luxuries, and He gives us love. It is more than we deserve but aren't we glad? God is good - all the time.

No comments: