HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY, 2010. This is a holiday that all Americans celebrate, or should celebrate, because it represents Independence. Who among us doesn't want to be independent? I know that I do. Getting back to the National Holiday I will say that I am sure that at some time in my educational background I read the Declaration of Independence. Probably I half-heartedly read it because, remembering my school days, I'm sure that I was much more involved in what guy was going to ask me to the football banquet, or talking on the telephone to my girlfriends about "gossipy" things, or worrying about whether or not my mother was going to give me the money to buy that "got to have or I will die" angora sweater at Loveman's Dept. Store. Anyway, I still remember that the document was written to insure that all citizens of the United States would have freedom. That is something that we should all give thought to today. Sometimes it seems that so many of our freedoms are being taken away and that is a scary and devastating thought. I remember the surrender of Germany and Japan in World War II and the country celebrated victory. I have lived through the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Persian Gulf War, Iraq, Iran and now Afghanistan. These wars, or "conflicts" as some people in authority call them were being fought to insure that we will secure our freedom from terrorists or people that would do us harm in our country. I appreciate the sacrifices that our servicemen and women have made but it appears to me that there will always be a war or conflict in some part of the world that we will become involved in and the reason is always to "protect our freedoms". Wouldn't it be wonderful if all people on this earth that God created would take care of their plot of land and not try to take over what does not belong to them? Jealousy, greed, dishonesty, and covertness are terrible things and I do believe that those things are what motivates countries to war.
We, here in the United States, can go to the schools of our choice, we can wear the clothes that we like, we can work at jobs that we enjoy, we spend our money to suit our purposes (except for taxes which nobody likes) and most importantly we can worship our Lord as we see fit. Today, being Sunday and Independence Day, I will pray an extra prayer at my worship service for all of the service men and women and thank God that I was born in the United States and not in some other country where religion is not allowed as an individual preference. Have you ever given thought to wonder why you were born where you were, at the time you were, to the parents that you had, etc? It is not luck as I have thought in the past. It was the plan of God and I thank Him.
Now, after all of that sermon I will tell you that last night I had a hot dog, a hamburger and watched fireworks from my apartment yard. Tonight I will watch the big show of fireworks on my TV and probably eat another hamburger which seems to be the food that accompanies the 4th of July. In fact, when Tracey brought me the hamburgers and hot dogs she supplied me with red plates, blue cups, and red white and blue napkins. All I needed was a big old American Flag flying in my breezeway like Billy always had. He did love the flag. As I have said before change comes to everybody - a new abode, new health issues, new grandchildren and great-grandchildren, new friends, new ideas on subjects, just lots of things in life. One thing will never change and that is that we are free to embrace changes and to always know that one thing that will never change is that God is good - all the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment