Today is Tuesday, May 11th. I had great intentions of writing on this blog yesterday but the time got away from me so I let another day go by without writing. There is a song that my son-in-law's gospel quartet sings entitled "After the Storm Passes By". It is referring to the storms of life but it could also refer to this horrible storm and flood that we have experienced in Nashville and adjoining communities recently. What devastation is existing in all directions. In so many neighborhoods, as you drive by, people's worldly possessions are stacked at the curb waiting to be picked up and taken to the dump. As I look at the things that are there I realize more and more how attached we are to our stuff. We talk about it being temporary and what is important is "laying up treasures in Heaven" and I agree with that but being human, as God made me, I have to say that to lose my "stuff" would be heartbreaking. What if I lost my pictures of my children as babies? What if I lost my pictures and a few articles of things I have left of Billy? What if I lost so many things that I have collected over the years? You know it would hurt but I found out when I was getting articles in boxes for the sale that was held at my house last month that so many things that I bought, thinking at the time that I "couldn't live without this or that" it doesn't mean anything in the big picture of life. All that really matters, and this is the truth, is your health -mental and physical, your family, your friends and most of all your faith in God. I got all nervous and scared on the day the flood waters began to rise in the back of my building here at the apartment complex and I went to Corinne's house in Gallatin. We watched the TV all day and night as they showed people being evacuated in boats, by foot or some even on air mattresses. Those people were leaving everything - more than pictures or knick-knacks, everything that they had. Their faces showed the horror and sadness that they were feeling and I thanked God all during that time that I was safe and comfortable with my daughter. I have heard over and over from people who think that God is trying to tell us something. I don't know anything about that being true or false because I believe that God is telling me something every day. The point is am I listening? I try. So maybe that is enough.
On another vein of thought today this is the week that my granddaughter, Courtney, is graduating from high school. I had the privilege of witnessing her in her beautiful attire as she and her escort went to the Senior Banquet Friday night. Tomorrow I will have the pleasure of presenting her with a scholarship award at the Awards Assembly at Goodpasture Christian School. I am so glad that I went to the Baccalaureate last week so the shock of seeing her in her cap and gown is past and when she comes down the aisle on Saturday morning to the music of Pomp and Circumstance I will have been forewarned. Her big party will be Saturday night and she will be ready to move on to another phase of her life. Just as I have experienced, this year, a huge change in my life so will she. However, she is young, excited, energetic and ready to embrace her new life with eagerness. I, on the other hand, am having a slight struggle. Lots of difference in age here and that makes a great difference.
I must report that Mother's Day this year was just a lovely day for me. After Sunday School and Church I was invited to Kim and Brad's house for a lovely dinner that she cooked and served in her best china, crystal and silver complete with candles and flowers. Such a delicious meal shared with Patrick and Brad's mother and father and grandmother. After a brief rest on my sofa Nita and Ray came and drove me to Tracey and Danny's house for a Crab Boil Supper. The food was just wonderful and this meal was shared with Danny's mother and father, Nita and Ray, Emily and Jackson and children, Courtney and Carter. All of my children presented me with a beautiful mirror to hang over my sofa in my living room and also two yard chairs and a table for my patio/porch. I have a whole table of cards that I received from my children and Leslie and Patrick. Have I mentioned in these blogs before how blessed I am? You bet I have. Along with my Mother's Day cards I received a sympathy card from the Caudle Vet Clinic telling me how sorry they were that I lost my Cleo. I was so touched by their concern.
It is now time for me to get ready to go to the dentist to start the work for a crown on a tooth. I dread it like the dickens but like I told my dentist the other day "I want to take these teeth to Heaven with me so save what you can". He has had to work very hard during the many years we have been together to piece together with bridges, etc the teeth that I have and this is just one more step in the process. It will be okay - just expensive.
Big, busy week ahead and then in the car on Sunday, the 16th, going to Destin, FL for a few days of rest, relaxation, sun and sand and lots of shrimp and grouper. But best of all a few days with Kim and Patrick and Chassen which will bring lots of laughter and foolish fun. Life just gets better all the time because, as I have said before, God is good - all the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment