Tuesday, August 31, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY DAUGHTER - CORINNE



When you look at your calendar this morning it will be Tuesday, August 31st. This will not be colored in red as some days are, but you can believe that it is a RED LETTER DAY. Why you ask? Because this is the day that the Lord saw fit to give me a beautiful 9lb. 14 oz. baby girl that her father and I named Leslie Corinne Cline. It was a hot, sultry Summer afternoon that she made her arrival. One funny incident that I remember quite well was that Billy and I drove to St. Thomas Hospital and parked in the visitor's parking lot. We walked into the lobby as though we were there as visitors. All the while I was in very hard labor. I was dressed in a beautiful navy blue skirt with a pink top trimmed in Daisy's. If memory serves me right I had on high heel shoes. The rest of the afternoon is unknown to me because in those days I was taken to "the back" and given medication that makes you talk crazy and silly but no pain is felt. The husbands were banished to a waiting room and could only come by infrequently to "visit" for short times. After Corinne made her appearance and went to the nursery then the family, including father, was allowed to watch through the glass. Nobody touched the baby. When I go to the hospital now to visit new mothers and babies and the baby is in the room for all to see, touch and goo-goo over I am amazed. As Corinne grew and developed she was like a little "fireball". She could wreak havoc everywhere she went and she could spread joy everywhere she went. Her smile and her twinkling eyes charmed everyone. She has always had a good word for her associates, be it family, work partners, friends, everyone. She sees the good and overlooks what might be considered bad in people. She is a workaholic and can do more in one day than most people can in a week. Her daughter, Leslie, is just like her - looks, actions, thoughts, and everything. They are quite a pair those two. The love that exists there is beyond description. We celebrated her birthday Sunday night with a dinner, gifts, a birthday dessert and lots of love showered on her. Corinne has been a delight to me and to her sisters and was a shining star to her daddy. He called her Trinna and she could really light up his life anytime she came around. I could tell you story after story about my daughter, Corinne, and some of them would just bring you to your knees with laughter and some with tears, but I think I will stop here and just simply say that I have a daughter, Leslie Corinne Cline Smith, who is celebrating her birth today and I am so proud and blessed to be called her Mother. She is a very real evidence that God is good - all the time.

No comments: