Yesterday was a holiday that is called Labor Day. This day has always been special to me. Not because I have always concentrated on the real meaning of the day which happens to be a celebration of the hard core workers of this country - the people who get up every morning, put on their clothes and go to jobs that keep this nation moving. I do salute the plumbers, the electricians, the postal workers, the construction workers, etc. because they are proud and they have a purpose to which they are committed, and without them we would not be able to have all of the things of which we are privileged. Yes, I honor the working class very much. However, Labor Day always had a special meaning for me because it signaled the end of Summer and the beginning of Fall and School. When I was a teenager on Labor Day I would put away white shoes and any other garment in the closet that was "summery" and begin to think about sweaters and skirts and saddle oxfords. The day after Labor Day would be so exciting because I would get up early, eat a quick breakfast and begin to get ready for school. The first day was probably the most important day and, of course, my outfit had been carefully selected the day before and was spread out on the chair, complete with shoes hair ribbons and jewelry. I walked to school and the air would be crisp and the neighborhood would be buzzing with activity and I would meet up with other students to discuss our summer fun as we walked together. Getting to East High and seeing all of my friends that I had not seen in three months was a noisy, gala time and lasted until the bell signaled the assembly in the auditorium to receive our assignments for the day. It was hard to settle down but in those days you settled when you were told to settle and no questions asked. I always had a new outfit and you can bet that it didn't consist of short shorts, low cut shirt and flip flops. When I saw the students on TV that were starting to school this year I was aghast at the way some were dressed. Thank goodness for the schools that have uniforms. Well, enough of old lady thinking so I will move on.
I had a perfectly wonderful Holiday Week-end. On Saturday my friend, Sara, came and we went to the Frist Center for the Visual Arts and toured the Christian Dior Couture Exhibit. We scrutinized each design and read in the book. that accompanied our tour, what material each article was made of, who wore the outfit and where they wore it and who donated it to the exhibit. There was also lots of information about the famous designer. It was a lovely activity and as I looked at each manikin with the beautiful, soft feminine look of the 50's it made me wonder why we have strayed away from that look and maybe it will come back. Mind you, I will wear the dresses if they do become popular again but my waist will not be small and my hips will be large so I have no expectations of looking like I did in the 50's but I still think I would feel prettier. Sara and I had coffee on the patio and enjoyed the lovely scenery at the Frist after the exhibit. On Sunday, I had the delightful experience of being with three of my grandchildren and their spouses (Chris, Drew and Emily) and nine of my great-grandchildren. It was just the grandest of times to sit in a comfortable chair with a glass of tea and watch all of these children play kick ball, dance, ride bicycles, the little children not big enough to be on a team or play the games were playing with wagons and push toys and their parents playing with them - even Nita and Ray playing kick ball and running the bases (running slow mind you but nevertheless running). What a happy time to sit, enjoy and not have to participate. Then, as if that wasn't enough good times to hold me forever, Corinne and I went to lunch on Monday, then to a movie, had another visit with grandchildren and great-grandchildren and ended up at the Mexican Restaurant sitting on the patio on a cool, lovely night with margaritas and nachos. Now, I ask you this question - isn't life just grand and glorious? I am so blessed and I realize it more and more as I am around my lovely girls and their families and these darling little ones. I will not live to see them grown and I will never know just what Christopher, John Ed, Mary Hollis, Anni, Maddux, Will Carter, Emma, Ava, and Sarah James will accomplish in this world but I do know this it will be remarkable. They are all gifts from a God that is good - all the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment