The other day I read something very interesting to me. I read where an interviewer was interviewing Natalie Wood. She said to her "You are rich, you're famous, you're beautiful, you're married to a rich, famous man and you have beautiful children. What more could you possibly want?" Natalie Wood responded,"I want yesterday". That really started me to thinking. I even spoke to my best friend and asked her about her "yesterdays" and she very readily told me that her best yesterdays occurred in the early sixties. I do believe that love of someone prompted that wish. Being in love and being happy probably is the most satisfying thing a woman can experience. What would be your "yesterday" wish? I have asked myself the question over and over and since I am not a person to dwell on the past I really have to dig deep. I thought about the summers that I spent in Athens, Alabama with my grandmother, my other Rainey relatives and friends - wading in the cold water of the creek, eating fried chicken for breakfast, drinking coca-cola and eating popsicles, going to the little Church of Christ that was so hot and crowded and listening to my uncle lead singing. Those were good "yesterdays". I thought of my first date with Billy Cline and mother letting me wear blue jeans for the first time (she did not like "girls in pants") because the date was to a wiener roast in Shelby Park. I thought about the first day of high school and how overcome I was with the spacious building and all of the strange faces.. I thought of spending time at Auntie and Daddy Russell's house in West Nashville and going to the Happiness Club at the BelleMeade Theater. I thought of lying in the front yard on a quilt under a big shade tree at my home on Rudolph in the summer reading "Bobbsey Twins" books. My first prom. My engagement ring. My wedding at Lockeland Baptist Church. Births of my babies. Oh, my goodness, how do you pick out one outstanding "Yesterday". So, I think that what Natalie Wood meant was that she had everything she needed now but she treasured the yesterdays that had brought her to this place in life. That is what I think also. My life, like yours, has been so filled with ups and downs, ins and outs, disappointments and wonderfuls, all of which has made me the person that I am now. When I have a day that is less than perfect and I am feeling low and having a big, old pity party I just pull myself up and realize that yesterdays are fine and good and should be remembered but what I have now, at this time in my life, is the best. This is where the yesterdays led me and truth be known I am very blessed and as long as I am a child of a God that is good - all the time the yesterdays that were so good can't compare with the present that is even better.
No comments:
Post a Comment