There are some events in life that are just so spectacular that they defy description. Such as this happened to me this past week-end. I was invited by Nita and Ray to accompany them to Jackson, MS for a few days visit with Chris, Ashley, Christopher, John Ed and Mary Hollis Maddux. I immediately accepted because it would be my pleasure to spend time with these most beloved grandchildren of mine. We left Hendersonville on Thursday morning and arrived in Jackson at 8:30 PM after having stopped in Memphis for Ray to have a meeting and with several other stops on the way. Ashley's sister and her family had vacated their home to go spend time in Nashville with relatives. Their house is within walking distance of Chris and Ashley's house and they graciously invited us to use their house for our comfort. After a visit with Chris and Ashley we settled into our temporary home and had a good night's rest. On Friday morning we went to Covenant Presbyterian Academy to see John Ed preform in the Christmas Program. They enacted the story of the birth of Jesus and told us several times (with actions and much feeling) that "it was a long way to Bethlehem" and one little girl informed us that "Mary was preganant". We were so very proud of John Ed and the fact that he sang, did the motions with his hands and best of all - he didn't cry like he did last year. On Friday night Chris took us to The Mayflower Restaurant which is an old cafe in downtown Jackson. In fact, it was used in the movie, The Help, because it is so well known. We enjoyed a delightful meal with no spilled drinks or accidents. After dinner we drove about 30 miles up the interstate to Canton, MS to a "Festival of Lights" display on the town square. Everything was in one area and easily accessible by foot. We walked the entire area and the children were treated to a ride in little cars. We went home tired but so excited and definitely in the Christmas Spirit. Saturday came with sunshine and very cool temperature but we bundled up and went to breakfast with Chris and the children. Ashley was preoccupied with a shower that she was helping to give at a friend's house. After riding around various neighborhoods just sightseeing the homes, Nita and I went shopping at a very nice, upscale center. We had fun going in and out of the shops looking at the items that were very different from the things that we have in Nashville. Then, I was treated to definitely the most unique experience of all - Chris took me to see his office. He is an attorney at Butler-Snow and they have recently built a new building. I will do my best, in this blog, to tell you what I saw. The front lobby is white marble, tile and beautifully decorated with soft white leather furniture, a huge red work of art hangs over the reception area. The elevators were even beautiful. We toured the top floor and if I had not known better I would have been sure that I had been transported to New York or Los Angeles when I stepped out of the elevator into a conference room that just took my breath. The table was not rectangular, nor square, nor oblong and would probably seat 50 people. That was just one conference room - there must have been 20 or more rooms that were fitted for meetings, both large and small. The view from all of the rooms was spectacular as each room had glass walls with automatic shades to cover them if there was a need. One area had a regular soda fountain for drinks and ice, etc. with one entire wall of microwaves and another of refrigerators. The area for the employees to enjoy their lunch was such a relaxing, happy place that I was almost envious that I couldn't sit down and have a sandwich and a coke. As we walked from room to room the walls were lined with artwork - some oil on canvas, some pen and ink framed drawings, some acrylics of abstract colors, just a gallery of beautiful paintings and pictures. The room that just "blew me away" was a complete replica of a court room that had a jury box, podium, judge's area and spectator's section. This room is used for practicing the lawyer's cases before actually going to court. I know of no other attorney's offices that have anything such as this accommodation for their people. I came away from there just amazed and so happy that my grandson is working in this magnificent atmosphere. After this treat I was ready to go and rest and get ready for the big production that we were going to attend at the First Baptist Church of Jackson - Carols by Candlelight. We had perfect seats thanks to the fact that Chris was an usher and had to be there early so Ray could go with him and save seats for Nita, Ashley and me. When it was exactly 7:00pm the lights were turned off and many people came from all directions carrying candles as the orchestra played an overture. When they had found their positions on the stage the lights came on and there before our eyes was a huge orchestra and 300 people in the chorus. The program was splendid - the chorus, the soloists, the orchestra, the ballet dancers - everything was so wonderful and ended with the most heart stirring rendition of Amazing Grace that I have ever heard. As if all of this was not enough, Chris preached on Sunday morning. To sit in an audience and hear your grandson preach the word of God is an indescribable experience. I will suffice it to say that my heart was overflowing with happiness and pride. After an absolutely wonderful lunch at the Jackson Country Club, Nita, Ray and I got into the car and we left all of this "heaven on earth" to come home. I have only touched the highlights of the trip in this blog. I could write volumes of things that Mary Hollis, Christopher and John Ed said and did that was a great-grandmother's joy and delight but all of these things I will hold and think about for the rest of my life. This week-end filled me with more blessings than I can count and I just have to praise God and tell you once again that God is good - all the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment