Saturday, February 18, 2012

Rememberances To Think About

So many things have happened since my last post.  I have been told by some people that they are "into Facebook" and other means of, what is called Social Media, that my blog doesn't seem to be as important to others any more.  However, I never intended this space to be used for any purpose other than to act as a sort of journal for me to go back and read to refresh my memory of things that I deemed interesting to me and my life.  Lately it appears that my life has settled into a routine that really didn't warrant much journaling.  I am going to a Bible Study on Tuesday morning that is the study of the book of James.  Not only am I being fed spiritually, I am enjoying the company of Nita, Kim and Jacque each Tuesday for the class and lunch afterwards.  Both of these things are such a treat for me.  Actually, I lost a lot of time in the month of January due to a wretched sinus infection that "laid me low".  When you feel so bad there is no incentive to go many places or do many things.  February is always a happy month for me because I do love Valentine's Day.  I received many valentine cards and gifts from my girls and it was lovely.  Paul took me to Carrabba's Restaurant for a wonderful Valentine Dinner.  I don't know when I have enjoyed a meal as much as that meal.  I had veal picata that I just love and ended the meal with a chocolate mousse dessert that was delicious.  February 16th would have been my father's birthday. I never knew him because of his untimely death at age 28 but I do have pictures and, if I say so myself, he was a good looking man with blond hair and blue eyes.  My nephew, Alan Rainey, shares that birthday and he looks a great deal like his grandfather.  Today, would have been my Billy's birthday.  I have thought about him all day even though I didn't speak of the occasion to my friend, Sara, who was spending the day with me.  We talked about things that happened that included Billy but I didn't remind her of the birthday.  He would have been 79 years old and I just bet that he would have been just as handsome and charming as he was at 16, 45, 65 when he died or today.  My Billy was "one of a kind".  There has never been another one like him except his daughter, Kim.  She has his expressions, his looks and the words that come from her mouth sound exactly like things he would have said.  I know that time heals all hurts and many years have gone by since he died but don't kid yourself - time can't heal completely. 

The weather report for tomorrow is calling for rain and possibly snow.  Therefore, I do not know whether I will be able to go to church or not.  It seems impossible that snow could cause a problem when the temperature has been so far above freezing, but who knows what will happen.  If I have to stay in that will be fine.  I tell the Lord each night that I thank Him for giving me such a warm, comfortable place to live and plenty of good things to eat and mainly for the health to enjoy them.  I would rather that it didn't snow because I have a full week of activities that I am prepared to enjoy.  My friend, Pat Johnson, is coming for lunch on Wednesday and on Thursday my group of friends from high school that meet for food and fellowship are to have a Soup Lunch.  We have it all planned as to who is bringing which part of the menu and I would hate to have to postpone the event.  We are all looking forward to being together.  My calendar shows that Goodpasture is playing baseball on Saturday and I am looking forward to watching Carter play.  It was so much fun watching him play football and I know that I will enjoy the baseball games even though that is not my favorite sport.  Who knows - it may become my favorite sport.  Grandchildren cause miraculous things in grandparent's lives. 

As you can tell from the rambling in this blog, my life has not been very exciting since Christmas.  All of that will change when next month comes.  Tracey and Danny have invited me to go with them to Panama City Beach, Florida to see Goodpasture play in a baseball tournament.  We will stay a week and I am hoping for some sunshine and good walks on the beach.  There is nothing in the world like looking at the ocean and walking in the sand to clear your head and your soul of all ills.  Also, spending quality time with your children is pretty wonderful.  All of these things that I have written about tonight make me realize more and more that God is good to me - all the time.

1 comment:

Kim Pigue said...

I check for blog updates all the time and I love it when you post. I thought of Daddy more than usual yesterday on his birthday. I could just see us all together having a celebration for him. So many things I would love to tell him and I would love to see my grandchildren sitting in his lap!

Keep writing, I love you! Kim