Friday, March 2, 2012

FRIDAY MORNING MUSINGS

I can tell right now that today, Friday, March 2nd, will be a "stay at home and get some work done" day.  I woke at 6:30 to the delightful smell of coffee perking and the soothing sound of rain hitting my bedroom window.  Houston raised his head, looked at me and if he could talk would say "why are you getting up"?  I left him all curled up on his side of the bed going back to sleep.  Yesterday was so very different.  The sun was shining so brightly that it shown between the slats of my blinds.  It was a wonderful, warm "need to stay outside as much as possible day" - which I did.  Houston and I took two long walks and met many people on the track taking advantage of the spring-like weather.  As all of the old folks of today and yesterday say "this has certainly been a strange winter".  I am still wanting snow.  However, snow during spring, and especially during Easter, would not be kind to the buttercups that are blooming and the flowering trees that are budding now and other nature items that must be in complete confusion. 

Don't you just love March Mania when all of the gyms and arenas are filled with basketball teams fighting like crazy to win their respective games?  I never tire of going to the gym, eating popcorn, screaming for my team, clapping my hands until they turn red and being so proud of those kids that are playing their hearts out for their schools.  I have had the opportunity to watch Christ Presbyterian Academy win the 5AA District Tournament and just last night won the Regional Tournament.  Now they will play a game next Monday night in the Sectional Tournament and if they win then it's on to the State Tournament.  This team of young men are so athletic and so talented that it is hard to believe they are in high school.  May I add, right here, that they are being coached by my grandson, Drew Maddux, who is also very talented and his love for his players and his experience all thrown into the mix makes for a very good show for the spectators.  I just hope that, after coming this far, they can continue right on to the State and come home with the Championship Trophy. 

For several days I have been writing letters to people who have contributed to the East Nashville High Alumni Association's Scholarship Committee.  Since I am Chairman of the committee, it falls my lot to write the contributors a thank-you letter.  I am not complaining - just the opposite - it is a pleasure to thank people for giving money to this worthy endeavor.  I have received 21 applications from students that are graduating in May, 2012 and desire to further their education at the college of their dreams.  In reading over the applications you can tell a lot about the student because they have to list their extra curricular activities as well as grade point average, act score and letters of recommendation.  I have decided that, regardless of what is printed in newspapers and other media about our schools and our lackluster teachers, these kids are bright, they are ambitious, they have a desire to learn and they all seem to know what they want to do with their life.  The committee will be meeting in a few weeks to decide which students will be rewarded with a scholarship and how much money we have in our treasury to give each student.  It is an awesome task, believe me.

I am going to Panama City, Florida for Spring Break!!!  When Kim and Tracey were in Goodpasture we went to this venue every year for Spring Break Week.  It was a fun time for all of us.  Now, I get to do it again.  Carter is playing baseball for Goodpasture and they are playing in a tournament in Panama City this year.  Tracey and Danny have arranged a place on the beach that will accommodate, not only me, but Danny's mom and dad, Bobbie and Jim Wiseman.  From the picture of our condo I see a big white porch so I can assure you that I will spend much time sitting on this porch drinking my coffee, reading my book and just looking at those beautiful waves washing up on that white, sandy beach.  I can hardly wait. I'm sure that I will have many tales to tell when I return on the 24th of March.

Last week-end was a great time for me.  Corinne and I went to Dyersburg, TN to stay with Connor, Cannon and Cord while Leslie and Russell took a little trip to Memphis for restaurant dining, shopping, and hotel over night.  They had a good time on their little mini-vacation, but I can assure you that I had more fun than they.  We took the boys to the mall for supper at a deli and then to the arcade to play game after game.  Do you have any idea how many quarters you need to go to an arcade?  My word, you need many dollars worth of quarters.  After they finished their games we had cookies, popcorn and such before heading home for baths and bed.  Sunday we got dressed, breakfast, hair combed, teeth brushed, and headed for church.  Each boy went to their respective places and Corinne and I joined a lovely group of ladies for a very good Bible Study.  Lunch at a barbecue place followed church and then home to change clothes and play in the yard in 70 degree weather and sunshine all afternoon.  Mostly I sat on a bench with Houston and watched the children and Corinne play football, basketball, slide down the slide, swing on the swing set and have a good time just being fun loving children with their grandmother.  Coming home and talking about the week-end was nice and quite calm after such a busy two days.  The big surprise after coming home was to find out that Leslie and Russell and the boys will be moving to  Florence, Alabama soon where Russell will be the CEO of the hospital there.  We will have a new place to go and baby-sit and I'm sure it will be a wonderful experience as all of the other places they have lived.  I will keep you informed as their plans develop.

I will close this writing for now as the weather report is predicting storms and possible tornadoes for our area so if I am going to take Houston out for his morning "outing" it must be now or never.  He is patiently sitting in a chair looking out the window as I write this so I'm sure he will be ready to go.  What a delight and joy he is to me.  I never thought I could be so attached to an animal as I am to him.  It seems that whenever I have ever been in need of an extra measure of happiness God gives me a friend or, in this case Houston, who loves me unconditionally.  See why I continually say that God s good - all the time.

No comments: