Well, it seems that I have been taken to task for not posting in several days. The truth of the matter is that I really didn't have anything of interest to post. For that matter I still don't. However, I think that since I started this thing I shall have to keep it up.
Yesterday was a fun day for me. My friend Shirley Charlton, from Chattanooga, came to Nashville and brought with her Claudia Allen, the daughter of another classmate who is deceased. When I was six years old I started to school at a very small school house on the corner of East Douglas and 14th Streets in East Nashville. The first and second grades were in one room with a teacher named Miss Gertrude Smith. I can see her now - tall, rawboned and straight as an arrow with her very serious hair do and dress and, of course, very sensible shoes that laced up. I was really scared of this woman and now I don't know why because she was very kind. I think it was because she talked loud and very stern which I was not used to. Anyway, Shirley Charlton and Margie Allen and I started together and sat in a row of seats that were side by side. That is the history of how far back we go. When I look at Shirley now she is dark headed (colored I'm sure) and very mature body, but when you look at the eyes and the smile and hear the voice it is like going back in time and being six years old again. We always have a big laugh over the fact that one day she got sick and threw up on me and I had to call my mother to come get me and take me home. What a funny thing to remember. I also remember that she had pretty long curls like Shirley Temple and she looked like a china doll. Anyway, we went to lunch with some other school friends and had a marvelous time visiting with each other. We said goodbyes with promises to stay in touch, going to Chattanooga for a visit, coming back to Nashville, etc. All the usual things you say and mean at the time but for some reason never do follow through on. Why is that I wonder? Are we so caught up in our own lives that we don't have time to venture out into something different? Oh well, we shall see.
Today has been a day of what I call "piddling". Just going from this to that and looking at pictures, and reading old cards, etc. Another phase of cleaning out my office. So much to do that it overwhelms me.
Tomorrow, however, will be a different experience and a fun day I think. I have been invited to be a part of the Lutz Family Baptizing the Baby Day! I will go meet Barbara for breakfast at 9:00AM and we will then go to St. George's Episcopal Church and I will sit with the family during the service and the baptizing of John Tyler Lutz, 5 month old grandson of Barbara and son of Clay and Amy and little brother of Eric. After the service we will go to Clay and Amy's home in Bellevue and have a lovely lunch. I love the Lutz family. They remind me of ours to a degree. There are five children, some grandchildren, no great-grandchildren but lots of noise, teasing, loving and fun goes on when they all get together. They are very musical and you an bet that someone will play the piano and guitars and then some of the family will sing. Some have voices that are equal to anything I have ever heard on Broadway. It is such a treat. I will write about it later and give details.
Hope my writing today has not been too mundane and boring - will do better next posting.
1 comment:
Hi my friend Patsy!! such an interesting 'blog'....I feel like I am 'there' with you.... your delivery is wonderful.... I will enjoy future reading I'm sure!!!
Post a Comment