Thursday, May 28, 2009

CARPE DIEM -A GOOD MOTTO

Not wanting to be chastised any more for not up-dating my blog, I decided that while still in my pajamas this morning I would give you some of my thoughts.

As you might suspect, my thoughts are mainly with my daughter, Kim, and her recent diagnosis of cancer. How our lives change with one sentence spoken in ten seconds. One minute I was all engrossed in a Danielle Steele novel and a simple knock on the door from two of my daughters gave me cause to realize that I was standing on the threshold of news that would change my life, their lives and most importantly Kim's life. As the wise man said, and I don't know who it was "the one constant in our lives is Change". Oh, yes, I imagine myself to be a strong woman who can play the cards that life deals me and, believe me, I have had some pretty punk hands in my lifetime but I believe that this one trumps them all. With God directing the doctor that she has handling her case we will overcome this obstacle in our path and move on.

Enough sad talk - Can you imagine the fun that I had on Sunday when most of the family gathered here at my house for a picnic. The first thing that swept me off of my feet was when Chris handed me my beautiful 12 week old great-granddaughter, Mary Hollis Maddux, dressed in her long white dress with the smocking across the front. She is so beautiful. She is so tiny and petite. She is so perfect. It was just like holding a "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow" to look at her tiny face with the big blue eyes. I just wanted to freeze-frame the moment to relive after all of the hustle and bustle of the day would be over. Christopher sang Dynamite and Dixie for me and it brought back memories of his father standing in a chair singing Amazing Grace and Sneaky Snake. With Christopher, Anni and Emma being such performers I do believe that we will be sitting in the theater someday watching one or all of them entertaining from the stage. It was a lovely day in spite of the intermittent rain that kept running the children away from the swings and the basketball goal. I can think of nothing in my life more fulfilling than to sit and watch my daughters, my grandchildren and my great-grandchildren as they interact with each other and are so cognizant of my every need. I am truly blessed and I realize it more all the time. I have only listed a few names of the participants of this day but if I gave you a full roll-call it would make this writing way too long. Suffice it to say that we had a house full. Now I will end and as Dr. Laura used to say "go take on the day". I prefer to say to all of you that the one thing that I have learned and it has really come back to me in spades recently is Carpe Diem - Seize the Day!!! Make the most of every day. After all this is the day the Lord has made so rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments: